Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam/Sentry keeps failing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else having this problem?
The Dashcam icon keeps disappearing of the screen. When I go into "Security" the "Format USB" icon is greyed out. If I pull the USB stick out and re-insert it then the icon re-appears and Dashcam starts working again.

Dodgy USB stick or dodgy USB port? It's a refresh model on 48.12

When I go into "Security" the "Format USB" icon is greyed out.

That is available only in certain circumstances (other media/partition etc) so it being unavailable is not an indicator of an inherent fault.

On non USB-C models, I did find that the USB plug/socket arrangement may not be 100% reliable, and likewise with any cable - I could reproduce a fault condition at will. In the end, I velcro'd our media to the underside of the phone flap to stop the cable flapping in the wind. Don't know what the equivalent would be in refresh models.

That is available only in certain circumstances (other media/partition etc) so it being unavailable is not an indicator of an inherent fault.

On non USB-C models, I did find that the USB plug/socket arrangement may not be 100% reliable, and likewise with any cable - I could reproduce a fault condition at will. In the end, I velcro'd our media to the underside of the phone flap to stop the cable flapping in the wind. Don't know what the equivalent would be in refresh models.

Thanks for that. The Dashcam icon isn't showing on the screen though.
I've got a Sandisk USB thumbdrive that I might try.

Happened to me today too. Reformatted the USB stick in the car and it came back again. Was annoying to get back to the car after a charge stop when I left sentry on for it to tell me there were sentry notifications, but no be able to view them because the card had vanished.

I’m going to fit the Thinkware F800 front and rear setup I had in my previous car, because the Tesla one can’t be relied on.

Reactions: dgb62 and Chalks99
I replaced the Tesla thumbdrive with a SanDisk Ultra Fit USB drive and it seems to be working OK now.
Plus, it's one of the tiny short devices so there's no chance of something tin the glove ox knocking it. I personally think that might be the cause of some issues...the supplied Tesla drive is physically long. USB ports aren't designed to have things hanging from them. Perhaps the drive is momentarily disconnecting as the car rattles down our knackered streets and roads?

Reactions: Medved_77
My T5 stopped working before Christmas. It’s still not working, even after a reformat.

Sentry icon appears in park, but no dashcam icon when driving. Pressing sentry icon doesn’t seem to do anything as there is no way to access recordings.

Getting bloody sick of things just stopping working because of the constant software changes. Nothing has fixed this so far. I might get a different drive and used the T5 as external storage for PS5.

Not happy currently. Paid for and activated premium connectivity and that’s not working either.

I replaced the Tesla thumbdrive with a SanDisk Ultra Fit USB drive and it seems to be working OK now.
Plus, it's one of the tiny short devices so there's no chance of something tin the glove ox knocking it.

I was just reading the Amazon reviews for those drives. A lot reporting it gets extremely hot in use because of its size and plastic case it can’t dissipate heat well. Something to keep an eye on in a confined, unvented space like the glovebox.

My Tesla one is still randomly disappearing. I’ve found simply pulling it and plugging it back in makes it work. But I’m glad I’ve fitted stand-alone dashcams as I regularly haven’t noticed it’s not working until I’ve been driving a bit.

Anyone else having this problem?
The Dashcam icon keeps disappearing of the screen. When I go into "Security" the "Format USB" icon is greyed out. If I pull the USB stick out and re-insert it then the icon re-appears and Dashcam starts working again.

Dodgy USB stick or dodgy USB port? It's a refresh model on 48.12

Having this same issue now. Did exactly as advised you and now the dash cam icon has gone off. Don't know what the service centre can do as its likely to be a software issue

I've gone for a Sandisk 128GB endurance micro SDXC card with a multi-adaptor (USB-A / USB-C / lightning). That way, if I'm on the road and ever need to download video footage to distribute somewhere, I can do it via the Apple SD card adaptor plugged into my phone / iPad. It's very light and doesn't put any strain on the USB port. (It's partitioned into music and teslacam drives so I also have an alternative to streamed music).

I still have a service call logged. They have been investigating remotely but not found out what the issue is yet. Suggested I try a different usb which I have and problem remains. Told them I would try an SSD but they asked me not to while they investigate further