Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam & Sentry stopped working recently

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use dashcam & sentry recording on a 64GB Samsung USB for a while. It worked (quite) well on MCU1. I recently upgraded to MCU2, it still worked fine, and I used the embedded video player a few times.

A few days ago, the recording icons disappeared. I tried rebooting, unplugging/replugging, and formatting the storage using the car menu, with no luck. As I thought the USB key was dead, I purchased a new USB key, Samsung MUF 64GB USB 3.1, which is a recommended model. No improvement.

Has someone experienced this? Is it related to a recent update?

Two things to try. First, try to reformat the device using the car's reformat option. If it can't see or access the device, check the USB device on your computer or phone to see if it is accessible by another device. If you can access it, try reformatting the USB as FAT32 (I know EXFAT is also supposed to be supported, but try FAT32). Second, plug the device into the other second USB port on the car. Make sure you don't have a USB hub or other device between the USB drive and the port. See if one of these possible solutions work.

Had a similar experience: after software update car complained that the USB drive is no longer readable. I tried reformatting in the car, but neither dashcam nor sentry would work after that. Interestingly enough, Sentry would show that there are new events, but there would no icon to review them.
Had to manually create "TeslaCam" folder on the drive to make it work.

I use dashcam & sentry recording on a 64GB Samsung USB for a while. It worked (quite) well on MCU1. I recently upgraded to MCU2, it still worked fine, and I used the embedded video player a few times.

A few days ago, the recording icons disappeared. I tried rebooting, unplugging/replugging, and formatting the storage using the car menu, with no luck. As I thought the USB key was dead, I purchased a new USB key, Samsung MUF 64GB USB 3.1, which is a recommended model. No improvement.

Has someone experienced this? Is it related to a recent update?
yes.....I changed to the new Samsung also and it worked for a few days and quit.....took it out and re-formated to MOS_Fat32 and put back in...recognized drive in fews seconds and is working fine now....

I tried reformatting in car, take out re-insert and re-booted car with no luck....so key is reformat with computer

@Galinette - hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread since your issue is now resolved, but didn't want to start new thread for my issue.

I'm in a similar situation to you, upgraded to MCU2. Today I had 2 strange events that happened. 1. A total MCU and instrument cluster shutdown whilst driving (which I was surprised to see considering that this is the reason I upgraded my MCU.. 2. My front camera dashcam footage was glitching, side camera work fine. I don't think the two things are related, but might be.

Anyone had these artifacts flashing in your recordings?

VID_20201027_151716_exported_3188_1603834900705.jpg Screenshot_20201027_214021_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

I had a total shutdown and reboot of the displays last week while driving. Tesla Service said I needed to reformat my USB Dashcam drive using an external device. I think the drive really likes FAT32 format, even thought Tesla recently began allowing EXFAT. I reformatted using FAT32. I really don't understand the relationship, but I think they saw something while reviewing the logs. Hasn't happened since, but who knows? :)

I had a total shutdown and reboot of the displays last week while driving. Tesla Service said I needed to reformat my USB Dashcam drive using an external device. I think the drive really likes FAT32 format, even thought Tesla recently began allowing EXFAT. I reformatted using FAT32. I really don't understand the relationship, but I think they saw something while reviewing the logs. Hasn't happened since, but who knows? :)

Ooo interesting.. will give that a go and see if I get any of the same issues.