Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam stopped working, red dot is on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not sure when it stopped working. The red not is on, I even re-formatted the drive using the new onboard format option and yet it records nothing unless touch the icon, forcing it to record the last ten minutes. That works fine. But, general driving recording is not happening. Sentry also not happening. I did reboot the system (holding down the scroll wheels).

I have the following:
- Jeda hub
- 128 GB SD
- v2020.16.3
- and my lucky charms

Thanks for any help.

Reactions: SlimJim
On what basis are you concluding it's not happening?

I ask- because when you press the icon you say it "records" the last 10 minutes- which would be impossible unless your car has a time machine in it.

Pressing the button simply moves the previous 10 minutes it already recorded to a saved folder.

A 10 minutes it had to have already recorded.

IIRC the in-car viewer app won't show you the 'recent' recordings- only the stuff saved via manual action or via sentry going to alert- you'd need to pull the card and view via PC or something to see that footage.

On what basis are you concluding it's not happening?

I ask- because when you press the icon you say it "records" the last 10 minutes- which would be impossible unless your car has a time machine in it.

Pressing the button simply moves the previous 10 minutes it already recorded to a saved folder.

A 10 minutes it had to have already recorded.

IIRC the in-car viewer app won't show you the 'recent' recordings- only the stuff saved via manual action or via sentry going to alert- you'd need to pull the card and view via PC or something to see that footage.

in the past it would record all activity when I’m driving the car. It also is no longer recording Sentry activity.

in the past it would record all activity when I’m driving the car. It also is no longer recording Sentry activity.

So here's how the system works (or is intended to)

It keeps a 1 hour buffer of the past hour of the car being awake (I think this resets if the car slept rather than being on sentry but haven't checked that in a while)-

It does not keep a record of "all" activity- just the last hour (or possibly less if the car slept). This footage, IIRC, is not viewable with the in-car viewer- but is viewable if you pull the storage and put into a computer.

That's the fundamental and basic operation of the dashcam feature. It's always recording. It over-writes the recent footage after 1 hour of footage with new stuff.

That is the only feature that records video on your USB storage at all. Ever.

Now-

If you manually tell it to save (via button on screen or horn) it will move the previous 10 minutes already recorded (by the above described dashcam feature) to the saved folder. This footage IS viewable in car.

And Sentry, if it goes to alert or alarm state, will do the same thing (move the previous 10 minutes of already recorded footage to the sentry folder).

So it's impossible for a "manual" save to work if it's not already been recording the normal recent activity- since there'd be no footage to move to saved otherwise. It can't go back 10 minutes in time and suddenly retroactively record footage it wasn't already recording.

Likewise- sentry does not "record" anything- it too simply moves the already recorded stuff from recent activity to the sentry folder.

So if manually pressing save on the screen still gets you 10 minutes of footage- it must be recording normal activity- because that's where the saved footage comes from. But you might need to pull the key and put in a computer to find it.

Now, if sentry is no longer moving video from that recent dashcam area over to sentry- that's a different problem. Do you get the notice when you get back in the car sentry alerted X times, and press to view footage? That'll at least help figure out if it's just not alerting at all or if it's a different issue.

Update 1: Tech told me I have to use USB 2.0 only drives. So I stuck one in after he left (16GB), formatted it and turned on the dashcam. Checked it after a couple moments. Nothing. Reformatted again. This time it showed some dashcam footage. Turned on Sentry mode ( I was at work) and checked it later. The launcher was all goofed up trying to display anything.

Drove home - 20 miles. Nothing. I messed about with it later. Reformatted it. Left Sentry mode running at the condo building. Came out a couple times. Checked the launcher and it appears to be working the best I have seen it in. I'll check it in the morning and after the drive home.

For some reason... I don't have a lot of faith in it. :(