Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam - The Missing 3 Seconds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Knightshade my friend, please stop. :) We get it that you don't like people using AP on non-highway roads.

This has nothing to do with like.

Do whatever you wish with your car.

Drive with your feet if you prefer.

Just don't expect to come complain about how it doesn't work perfectly when you do something the people who built the car say not to do and not get called out on that fact.

And I'm glad that Tesla does not feel the way you do.

I mean, they literally agree with me in their owners manual but facts seem so unpopular these days right?

@Knightshade,

The bottom line in my view is that AP/NOA/Autosteer, IN GENERAL, is all beta and we all need to consider it that way no matter what road you are on, otherwise disaster can happen. I don't blame Tesla at all, since I know I am essentially a test pilot, and I treat it that way. They want to protect themselves from the liability, so they limit that in their manual, same as for all the disclaimers for Summon. It doesn't mean that 98% of the time, it will work great. And I get it, don't blame them for the 2% when it doesn't.

I know all of us can talk about the many times AP has tried to kill us even on the freeway. We know it is not perfect, yet. But I see improvements in every software update.

The OP was pointing out an issue with the behavior of his AP. Should he "complain" to Tesla? Maybe not, but it makes sense to make a note of it and inform them. I keep track every day of the odd or incorrect behavior I run across, no matter what road I am on. I see similar behavior as the OP 4x per day on my NOA drive to work on the freeways, especially on/off of ramps from one freeway to the next. I expect that this someone will get seen by Tesla when they look to improve certain things.

I will say that I LOVE AP and I use it as much as I can. I know it makes ME a safer driver, even if not on the freeway.

@Knightshade,

The bottom line in my view is that AP/NOA/Autosteer, IN GENERAL, is all beta and we all need to consider it that way no matter what road you are on, otherwise disaster can happen. I don't blame Tesla at all, since I know I am essentially a test pilot, and I treat it that way. They want to protect themselves from the liability, so they limit that in their manual

No, the system is literally not programmed to handle roads outside those types is why it's in the manual.

It "works great" a lot of the time on those roads because often the conditions are the same as the roads it's intended for. Long stretches of no cross traffic/turn lanes involved.

The times it doesn't is virtually always the times something different from the intended use roads comes up... cross traffic, oncoming traffic, etc.

It doesn't work in those circumstances because the system isn't intended to

The OP was pointing out an issue with the behavior of his AP. Should he "complain" to Tesla? Maybe not, but it makes sense to make a note of it and inform them.

It really doesn't though.

He'd literally be telling them "Hey- your system didn't work right in a place you already told me it's not meant to even be used

That makes no sense at all. Tesla already knows that. They know it so well they wrote it in the owners manual so everyone else would know too.

facepalm.gif
brokenrecord.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and SoManyM3s
Well, I wrote up my issue (along with the pictures) and sent it to customer support. Their response was that they understand that I am worried over this but it is not out of the ordinary and it is not something that indicates an issue with the dashcam. In other words, they know it behaves this way and have no plans to fix it. I was already certain that they knew it behaved like this but I wanted to voice an opinion that it needs to be fixed. It probably won't be unless many more people complain about it. ([email protected]) So get busy people! :)

Reactions: HighZ and Kevy Baby
Just to stir the pot a little, note the oft quoted "Warning: Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads with a fully attentive driver..." does not say "...on highways that are limited-access roads...." There are plenty of significant highways with things like left turn lanes, traffic lights and stop or yield signs. In my own neck of the woods there are four lane divided US highways with left turn lanes and the occasional signal / sign, not counting the ones you encounter passing through towns. There's also a four lane divided state highway between my town and the next that has two signal lights and several left turn lanes. My new (Dec 28 2019) M3P+ FSD will occasionally try to move into one of those lanes. Fortunately, I've been able to fulfill the "fully attentive driver" part of the caveat.

I believe my usage of Autosteer is within cited caveat. I've posted about my experience in another thread, not to complain, but because, as an embedded system engineer for the past 40+ years, it's the kind of feedback I'd want if I were developing Autosteer.

Hello I was passenger in my brother's Tesla Raven (S) last Thursday when a truck driver dashed out on a crossing lane without stopping for traffic.
We were unable to escape collision but were able to steer somewhat to the right so that the car hit at a slight angle thus reducing impact force a bit. Two forces of impact; first the front hit which took out most of the forward speed, safety belts hugged onto us, air bags released, then the rear right hand wheel of the truck latched on to the back of left front wheel of the tesla with such power that the entire wheel of the Tesla was ripped off the chassis. This got the car into a swerve where it rotated some 270 degrees clockwise and ended up in a snow bank in front of a tree.. Mentioned just to recollect the incident..

THis Tesla S Raven has four cameras; front, left, right and back repeater which records and logs to USB card continously while driving.
Later we tried to examine the camera recordings to get a good understanding of the collision. But we were unlucky that the seconds of collision coincided partially with that dreaded "missing 3 seconds" recording bug ! We got the first part until the car began to rotate, but then some 3 seconds until the car is at a standstill is missing. This coincides with buffered video being saved to USB card where live video is lost during the write period..

I was impressed though, not least given this happened in the north of Sweden with sometimes questionable mobile coverage,
that my car owner brother got an english speaking mobile call from a Tesla representative minutes after the incident, asking if we were ok...

Video illustrating front damage :

But it looks quite vital that this video buffering glitch gets sorted out by Tesla ! In some accident cases it could be quite serious to lose out on video sequences that would otherwise document what occurred. In our case the case was thoroughly documented by arriving police and parties interviewed, so no doubt what had taken place. But others might be less lucky.