Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Turns off once gear is engaged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm facing a strange issue with dashcam. Dashcam lights red on Park, once i go out of Park Dashcam turns off and i cannot save any footage. It goes back on when back in Park (Video illustration attached). I have tried 3 Flash Drives: 128GB Tesla Provided, old 64GB SanDisk, new 256GB SanDisk. I tried formatting on screen and on PC FAT32. I tried the Glovebox slot and both center console USB-C slots (2021). nothing works.

I cant physically go to Tesla Service as I'm in a Grey Market Country. Any Ideas will be welcome.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-04-28 at 11.04.30 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-04-28 at 11.04.30 AM.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 126
I thought maybe it was due to a saved setting issue when switching between Easy Entry and your actual driver profiles. For example, Easy Entry profile has dashcam on, but your actual driver profile has dashcam setting off. However, I just tested it on my 2021 sr+ and that wasn't an issue. I turned off dashcam while in drive, put the car in park for Easy Entry and then turned it back on. When I put it in gear again, dashcam stayed on.

Have you tried manually turning on dashcam once you are in drive? Hold down your finger on the dashcam icon until the light turns red.

Have you tried manually turning on dashcam once you are in drive? Hold down your finger on the dashcam icon until the light turns red.
I have tried pressing and holding, nothing changes. I dont think its the easy entry though because when it works on park while in my profile too but then turns of if i go R/D or even N. I will go down and turn off easy entry and see if that helps

I'm facing a strange issue with dashcam. Dashcam lights red on Park, once i go out of Park Dashcam turns off and i cannot save any footage. It goes back on when back in Park (Video illustration attached). I have tried 3 Flash Drives: 128GB Tesla Provided, old 64GB SanDisk, new 256GB SanDisk. I tried formatting on screen and on PC FAT32. I tried the Glovebox slot and both center console USB-C slots (2021). nothing works.

I cant physically go to Tesla Service as I'm in a Grey Market Country. Any Ideas will be welcome.

I saw on you video that you indicate "Sentry Mode" Sentry mode ON is not the dashcam, When you stop "P" the car icon of Sentry Mode (picture of Sun) going Red and Dashcam stop

The icon that his finger is pointing to in the video looks like he is pointing at sentry mode when he says dashcam, however that is not relevant.

The video quality is not great, but it does appear that dashcam (and sentry mode) is on when he is in park, turns off when he is in drive, then turns back on when he parks again at the end.

My apologies for the bad quality its my first time uploading a video to youtube. Let me explain. Sentry Mode is working fine a registring events happening while I'm away.
The dashcam on the other hand (camera icon) shows recording while Parked, and shuts off when any drive gear is selected, it goes back to recording when Park is selected again.

This is happening since i got the car new on 2021.4.12 and persisted through 2021.4.15

hi, I have exactly the same problem. I got the car from 2021.4.15 update. Tesla support suggested me to schedule service. My service is scheduled on May 5.
Please report back on what happens with you at the service center. I have to ship the car out of the country crossing a country in the middle to tge closest service center so that would be very helpful information.
Similar issue reported early this year:

It is hard to understand how a bug can correlate driving and dashcam recording.
From my software background i think this is whats happening:
The car uses the cameras for Sentry Mode when Parked. Once it leaves Park it should close Sentry mode and engage the cameras for Dashcam. I'm guessing the bug is that the Cameras are stuck in Sentry which is OFF while driving and Dashcam cant get access to the cameras.

From my software background i think this is whats happening:
The car uses the cameras for Sentry Mode when Parked. Once it leaves Park it should close Sentry mode and engage the cameras for Dashcam. I

That's not at all how the system works.

Dashcam is the only thing that ever records video. Sentry does not (indeed, sentry does not even need a video storage device attached to be turned on)

Sentry does a number of non-video related things. Plus-
Under specific circumstances Sentry may move the previous 10 minutes of dashcam video from the "recent" folder to the "sentry" folder- if that video exists (which it only does if Dashcam recorded it)- but that's the only thing sentry "does" regarding video at all.

That's not at all how the system works.

Dashcam is the only thing that ever records video. Sentry does not (indeed, sentry does not even need a video storage device attached to be turned on)

Sentry does a number of non-video related things. Plus-
Under specific circumstances Sentry may move the previous 10 minutes of dashcam video from the "recent" folder to the "sentry" folder- if that video exists (which it only does if Dashcam recorded it)- but that's the only thing sentry "does" regarding video at all.
I dont have access to the code so i don't know, I'm guessing because thats how I'd do it. But yeah Sentry could be a feature addon to Dashcam so it does not conflict. No idea really.

Tesla just pushed 2020.4.15 again to my car and asked me to check. I'll report back if the reflash worked within the hour.

I dont have access to the code so i don't know, I'm guessing because thats how I'd do it. But yeah Sentry could be a feature addon to Dashcam so it does not conflict. No idea really.

Tesla just pushed 2020.4.15 again to my car and asked me to check. I'll report back if the reflash worked within the hour.
Software push haven't solved it.

I found a solution on reddit, this might be help to you. They said the problem is caused by vehicle not marked as delivered in tesla database

So Tesla Dubai had this to say:

"Dear Khalid,

Please share a video footage of your concern- we would share it with our regional technical team in Europe, in order check and advise if a remote solution is possible."

I sent them the video a few days ago and they confirmed diagnosis is being done.

I found a solution on reddit, this might be help to you. They said the problem is caused by vehicle not marked as delivered in tesla database
I sent the database issue to them. Awaiting reply. Will update here on what happens.

Seems probable as i had a 3rd party receive the car on my behalf in Dubai to ship it to me in Kuwait (covid restriction made it hard for me to collect the car myself). It could be that something went wrong in the delivery process.

I got this email back

"Hi Khalid,

You are right, the issue has been identified as the one stated in the below email.

We have written to teams to make the necessary internal correction. Please allow us till Tuesday 11th May 2021. We will update you accordingly."

I will update here Tuesday.