Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Unavailable Check USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if anyone else is having issues with a message being thrown stating that the Dashcam Is unavailable, check USB.
This just started happening. So I formatted the USB drive and enabled/disabled the Dashcam and the red X disappeared but came back again with the same message. Pulled the drive and viewed it on my pc and recent files have been written to it.
Anyone?

Well, it worked for a day and now it’s doing it again
The Tesla 128GB USB thumb drive is made by Samsung. It is a nice piece of swag but it is not optimal for use with Dashcam/Sentry mode. There are many accounts of the Tesla thumb drive failing after a relative short time, i.e. less than 1 year.

For longest life and reliability use only an Endurance type memory storage device or else use an SSD. I have been using a Samsung 128GB PRO Endurance microSD card and the Sandisk Mobile Mate USB reader for Dashcam/Sentry Mode in my 2020 Model Y almost 2 years now with no issues. Sandisk sells a High Endurance MicroSD card including 128GB and 256GB capacity. Sandisk also sells a Max Endurance microSD card for even longer life when used in video recording and surveillance applications.

Upvote 0
I am currently using the

SAMSUNG BAR Plus 256GB - 400MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive​

Same thing is happening to me, just started a couple days ago. What update are you on? I was using the Samsung T7 500 GB and now am trying the ScanDisk Extreme Pro SSD. Both appear to only become unavailable after an over night sleep cycle. During the day in and out of the car does not seem to be an issue. I can confirm sentry still works, this is specifically related to the dash cam. Have you figured anything out? I have a mobile service appointment on Friday and have added it to my list of items that I want addressed. let me know if you figure anything out in the mean time.

Upvote 0
Same thing is happening to me, just started a couple days ago. What update are you on? I was using the Samsung T7 500 GB and now am trying the ScanDisk Extreme Pro SSD. Both appear to only become unavailable after an over night sleep cycle. During the day in and out of the car does not seem to be an issue. I can confirm sentry still works, this is specifically related to the dash cam. Have you figured anything out? I have a mobile service appointment on Friday and have added it to my list of items that I want addressed. let me know if you figure anything out in the mean time.
I am on the latest release and that is when it started to give me problems. But the last couple of drives, its been working fine. Its like it just wants to mess with me.

Upvote 0
I am on the latest release and that is when it started to give me problems. But the last couple of drives, its been working fine. Its like it just wants to mess with me.
Ok, latest release here too. I will try doing a hard rest on the car and see if that helps. Let me know if it keeps happening. Could be helpful in getting it resolved if it is a more widespread issue that is just starting to pop up.

• Informative
Reactions: flstcgranucci
Upvote 0
Mine has been perfect for over a year, and this just happened to me recently twice. Had to pull the drive and re-insert it. Wonder if some sort of update messed it up again.
If you have been using the Tesla (Samsung) 128GB USB thumb drive for ~1 year then it could be an indication that the memory storage has become damaged from the high number of read/write operations required for Sentry Mode and Dashcam recording. An Endurance type memory storage would last much longer in video and surveillance applications.

Samsung sells a 128GB PRO Endurance microSD card. Sandisk sells both High Endurance (128GB and 256GB) and Max Endurance (128GB and 256GB) microSD cards (longest lasting). These microSD cards work with the Sandisk Mobile Mate USB reader. I have been using the Samsung 128GB PRO Endurance microSD card and the Mobile Mate reader in my 2020 Model Y for almost 2 years with no issues.

Upvote 0