Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Unavailable Check USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if anyone else is having issues with a message being thrown stating that the Dashcam Is unavailable, check USB.
This just started happening. So I formatted the USB drive and enabled/disabled the Dashcam and the red X disappeared but came back again with the same message. Pulled the drive and viewed it on my pc and recent files have been written to it.
Anyone?

If you have been using the Tesla (Samsung) 128GB USB thumb drive for ~1 year then it could be an indication that the memory storage has become damaged from the high number of read/write operations required for Sentry Mode and Dashcam recording. An Endurance type memory storage would last much longer in video and surveillance applications.

Samsung sells a 128GB PRO Endurance microSD card. Sandisk sells both High Endurance (128GB and 256GB) and Max Endurance (128GB and 256GB) microSD cards (longest lasting). These microSD cards work with the Sandisk Mobile Mate USB reader. I have been using the Samsung 128GB PRO Endurance microSD card and the Mobile Mate reader in my 2020 Model Y for almost 2 years with no issues.
My Tesla stick was garbage from the beginning. I replaced it with this Samsung over a year ago.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
Upvote 0
This thread jinxed me. Quick Formatted my drive in a PC now it seems useless. Get a red X, can sometimes get it to go away and try to format my drive in the Tesla and it errors out. Seems to work fine plugged into a PC. Doing a full format now and reset the Y.

What a pain.
Mine does that all the time. Used several high speed drives. Rebooting the touchscreen works for a while

Upvote 0
I got the same message.

I checked the memory and noticed that the disk was full.

I put back into my car and looked at the menu:

There was 2 options:

1. Delete content.
2. Format.

The (1) Delete content worked fixed my issue.
Ya not the issue I was having.
I just started getting this message after recent update to 2022.12.3.1. This has happened twice so far and goes away temporarily after reboot.
Interesting. Mine started on 2022.12.3 and went away when I installed 2022.12.3.1

Reactions: Watts_Up
Upvote 0
I'm on 2022.12.3.1 and I got this message while using the Samsung Bar Plus 256GB. I removed and reinserted the drive and it worked for a little while, but then the error came back. I checked the drive and it was not full, but I emptied/reformatted to be safe. The error persisted, so I bought a SanDisk Max Endurance 256GB figuring that the Samsung was the issue. The SanDisk worked for about 20 minutes before it showed the same error. So now my guess is that this is a software bug in 2022.12.3.1. With either drive I can unplug/replug and it will work again for a little while, but the error keeps coming back. I'll just have to wait for the next update to come through and hope that it's fixed.

Reactions: AlexVCo and C-Bus Y
Upvote 0
A local Tesla guy suggested I unplug the SSD, perform a REBOOT then reinstall the SSD, that didn’t fix it. I did plug it in to iMAC reformatted it for the MAC OS copied a file to it, it worked. Have since reformatted back to TESLACAM and plugged it back in to my Y. This has to be a Tesla SW bug.

Upvote 0
2022.12.3.2 just popped in, no joy. Since I know the SSD I have been using works I guess it’s time to schedule a service call.
Glad you mentioned this. I almost posted earlier today to ask if some or all of us should schedule service to get this issue on their radar. I think I’ll go ahead schedule it. Even if they cancel it, at least they got the feedback so they can pass it to the right team.

Upvote 0
I have a mechanical (so basically infinite write cycles) WD Passport USB drive (made so that it can take vibrations from driving). Was working great for over a year. After updating to 2022.12.3.5 I got this issue. I took out the drive, did SMART check and checked every sector. Didnt find any issues (drive is basically brand new, except reporting several thousand hours of runtime). Plugged back into Model Y. Worked. Walked away and let the car sleep. Red X, USB issue error. Format the drive via Tesla menu. Works fine. Walk away, let the car sleep. Issue again.

Seems like a bug in latest update. Its 100% not drive issue. Does not happen if you walk away briefly. only after car goes into deep sleep and cuts USB power.

If I had to guess the issue is with mounting USB on power up.

Upvote 0
Same issue happening with me. This issue started happening once I updated to 2022.12.3.1 and I cannot reformat any drives I plug in. I tried 5 different one. And the issue still persist even I switch out to a brand new Samsung T7 Portable SSD. I just updated to 2022.12.3.2 last night and the issue is still here.

Attachments

• 6E002FB9-B2AD-4E78-AD29-735B6DDD77AB.jpeg
    6E002FB9-B2AD-4E78-AD29-735B6DDD77AB.jpeg
    575.3 KB · Views: 279
  • A3233221-03EA-42BB-B17A-92DF7C631060.jpeg
    A3233221-03EA-42BB-B17A-92DF7C631060.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 136
Reactions: SpaceAggie
Upvote 0