Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Unavailable Check USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if anyone else is having issues with a message being thrown stating that the Dashcam Is unavailable, check USB.
This just started happening. So I formatted the USB drive and enabled/disabled the Dashcam and the red X disappeared but came back again with the same message. Pulled the drive and viewed it on my pc and recent files have been written to it.
Anyone?

Interesting development, yesterday I was chatting via the app with someone at my local SC about them wanting some “time stamps” when the issue was occurring, essentially all they wanted me to do is go out to the car and press the DashCam icon, which I did, got the USB Unavailable error message reply to the message with the time I accessed it. I was out in the garage detailing it when I heard the CLUNK of a relay opening a couple of times, didn’t think nothing of that as I was opening and closing doors, trunk and frunk. Got in the car to move it and for some reason clicked on the DashCam app and the Red X was gone, went in the Safety folder and the DELETE icon was now available previously is was grayed out. I pressed the FORMAT button and a minute later is displayed SUSCESS. I was now able to open the DashCam. I sent a really asking if they sent an OTA and haven’t heard back from anyone yet but my DashCam is now working again. I did check to see and I’m still on 2022.12.3.2

Upvote 0
Interesting development, yesterday I was chatting via the app with someone at my local SC about them wanting some “time stamps” when the issue was occurring, essentially all they wanted me to do is go out to the car and press the DashCam icon, which I did, got the USB Unavailable error message reply to the message with the time I accessed it. I was out in the garage detailing it when I heard the CLUNK of a relay opening a couple of times, didn’t think nothing of that as I was opening and closing doors, trunk and frunk. Got in the car to move it and for some reason clicked on the DashCam app and the Red X was gone, went in the Safety folder and the DELETE icon was now available previously is was grayed out. I pressed the FORMAT button and a minute later is displayed SUSCESS. I was now able to open the DashCam. I sent a really asking if they sent an OTA and haven’t heard back from anyone yet but my DashCam is now working again. I did check to see and I’m still on 2022.12.3.2
Not to rain on the parade, but don’t get too excited yet. Mine worked for quite a while before I got an error again. I can unplug/replug and get it to work for a while, but the error keeps occurring.

My guess is that whatever software process initiates detection of the USB when you get into the car is not happening sometimes. Could be a process timing out, memory issue, etc. I think the car simply doesn’t recognize that a USB is there. Sometimes it works, but sometimes it needs corrective action like reset or usb removal reinsertion to restart the process of USB detection.

Upvote 0
My errors are very intermittent. This is frustrating. Hope I don’t
“Hope I don’t miss a “Teslacam” moment, or something more important.”
I missed a cool moment and I’m not a big celebrity fanatic by any definition. My car was parked and a few celebrity children went right up to my Model Y. These children have almost no media allowed other than when the parents approve it for events like birthdays or something and have literally never been spotted out and about. Other than bragging to the parents fans that I know, I wouldn’t have done anything with the footage but it would have been cool to have! Tesla failed me :(

Upvote 0
Just found this thread but been seeing this for a bit - I had already begun to suspect the update since it coincided. I’ve been getting sh!t LTE connection (as in not there frequently) as well - have a SC appointment and chats for that also…

1yr old Samsung endurance Pro SD. Figured it was full so backed up and formatted.

Fixed it. Next morning? Red X. Format again, works until the next morning.

Reliable pattern.

Upvote 0
Not to rain on the parade, but don’t get too excited yet. Mine worked for quite a while before I got an error again. I can unplug/replug and get it to work for a while, but the error keeps occurring.

My guess is that whatever software process initiates detection of the USB when you get into the car is not happening sometimes. Could be a process timing out, memory issue, etc. I think the car simply doesn’t recognize that a USB is there. Sometimes it works, but sometimes it needs corrective action like reset or usb removal reinsertion to restart the process of USB detection.
You were right, after a week of it working I got the USB Unavailable error message today. I hope Tesla has a "real" fix coming. I did open a Service Request but as I was engaged in back and forth chat's with a tech over 2 days it suddenly started working, I waited another 4 days and canceled the service call.

Upvote 0
I had a service appointment scheduled for tomorrow, but the service tech contacted me and cancelled it because it's a "known" issue which they said would be corrected in an update soon. I'm on 2022.12.3.2. It was intermittent until today. It won't clear at all...no amount of unplugging/plugging back or formatting has worked. Frustrating.

Upvote 0
Happened to me yesterday. Got into the car and there was a sentry event on the screen. Pressed it and it would not respond. Kept trying and nothing. Got the dash cam unavailable, check usb notice several times also. Then I noticed the camera icon with the X. Then tried to get the list of recordings to see what was going on and it was not visible. Drove home and reset the screen and all was back to normal. Have not tried it this morning yet. On 2022.12.3.2.

Upvote 0