Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Unavailable Check USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if anyone else is having issues with a message being thrown stating that the Dashcam Is unavailable, check USB.
This just started happening. So I formatted the USB drive and enabled/disabled the Dashcam and the red X disappeared but came back again with the same message. Pulled the drive and viewed it on my pc and recent files have been written to it.
Anyone?

I didn't have that message on the main screen, but when I honked to record some idiot passing me at 95 mph on the shoulder of the 5 in LA this morning, I didn't get the confirmation beep (I honked a few times). Going into the "Driving" menu the dashcam button just said "Unavailable" and it was greyed out.

At the next light I just removed and reinstalled the USB plug (going to Samsung SSD) and then the drive came back and old recording were available, but of course no reckless pickup driver was captured from earlier.

Reactions: Nolakai
Upvote 0
Just wondering if anyone else is having issues with a message being thrown stating that the Dashcam Is unavailable, check USB.
This just started happening. So I formatted the USB drive and enabled/disabled the Dashcam and the red X disappeared but came back again with the same message. Pulled the drive and viewed it on my pc and recent files have been written to it.
Anyone?
After the last update, I have two teslas with different brand USBs that both started complaining after the last update with the red x.

Upvote 0
After the last update, I have two teslas with different brand USBs that both started complaining after the last update with the red x.
Yes currently there isn't really a fix yet. Current solution I notice is unplugging the USB and plug it back in. Some time it takes more than one try. But sooner or later the issue will come back and you will have to do this dance again.

Upvote 0
I didn't have that message on the main screen, but when I honked to record some idiot passing me at 95 mph on the shoulder of the 5 in LA this morning, I didn't get the confirmation beep (I honked a few times). Going into the "Driving" menu the dashcam button just said "Unavailable" and it was greyed out.

At the next light I just removed and reinstalled the USB plug (going to Samsung SSD) and then the drive came back and old recording were available, but of course no reckless pickup driver was captured from earlier.
Just to follow up, I checked first thing this morning (before my drive to work) and again the recording status was "unavailable". I had to remove and reinsert the USB storage and right away it returned to "Recording".

I did not have this issue even once prior to the 2022.12.3.2 update that I ever noticed. I'm not sure how long it was out for before I noticed (unfortunately you don't know when you need your dashcam until something has already happened).

Reactions: JackLuminous
Upvote 0
Anyone?
I know exactly what you’re talking about. I picked up my model 3 in Jan 2022. I started getting this error late April I believe. It’s so frustrating that I have to format almost everyday before I drive.

Just to clarify, is the solution people proposed is to get a new usb drive?

Attachments

• C7E23248-4898-42CB-84A0-17B1072EC4AD.jpeg
    C7E23248-4898-42CB-84A0-17B1072EC4AD.jpeg
    318.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 64CB9A5D-776B-4770-954A-310540919E55.jpeg
    64CB9A5D-776B-4770-954A-310540919E55.jpeg
    306.7 KB · Views: 56
Upvote 0
I know exactly what you’re talking about. I picked up my model 3 in Jan 2022. I started getting this error late April I believe. It’s so frustrating that I have to format almost everyday before I drive.

I just went from an SD extreme to a wd and am having the same issue... For now I format the SSD in car when I see the issue

Upvote 0

No. Don't get a new drive, don't waste your time formatting, and don't reboot. I have not had any of these methods work for me reliably or seen a post saying the same. The software is losing "connection" to the USB drive. In PC terms, it would be like a USB device going to sleep and not waking back up. However, when you unplug, re-plug that USB device, it gets recognized again. I'm not saying this is what is happening with the Tesla software but it seems that way to me.

Upvote 0

The solution is to wait for tesla to provide a software update. A new usb device won’t help.

Upvote 0
I just noticed that after I reboot my 2020 LRMY because of the USB storage issue with version 2022.12.3.2 that the Climate Control dashboard vent settings are changed. The direction of the airflow of the driver's dashboard vent moves down to the bottom of the vehicle and to one corner. After you reboot version 2022.12.3.2 check your Climate Control vent settings.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Upvote 0