Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Unavailable Check USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if anyone else is having issues with a message being thrown stating that the Dashcam Is unavailable, check USB.
This just started happening. So I formatted the USB drive and enabled/disabled the Dashcam and the red X disappeared but came back again with the same message. Pulled the drive and viewed it on my pc and recent files have been written to it.
Anyone?

Did Elon just tweet about this problem? Or is he referring to something else?
I’m not a computer guy but sounds like the same issue. Problem is, everyone seems to get a different update at different times so who know when we will all get the fix. Hopefully they can just push a stand-alone fix not attached to any particular software version (again, I’m not a computer guy).

Upvote 0
This explanation might shed light onto why my USB has been behaving correctly post-12.3.2. If they boosted the cache size even a little in .2, mounting my now-empty (freshly formatted) USB now lets it safely stay mounted within the cache footprint.

It also explains why someone here said their’s worked for days after 12.3.2 also but then wouldn’t mount again after a while. Once the size of the volume grows enough it outgrows the new larger cache.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Upvote 0
This explanation might shed light onto why my USB has been behaving correctly post-12.3.2. If they boosted the cache size even a little in .2, mounting my now-empty (freshly formatted) USB now lets it safely stay mounted within the cache footprint.

It also explains why someone here said their’s worked for days after 12.3.2 also but then wouldn’t mount again after a while. Once the size of the volume grows enough it outgrows the new larger cache.
Excuse my ignorance, but are you saying that if I reformat my usb drive then I will be OK and the “dashcam unavailable” will stop happening? I am post 12.3.2

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
For me the Dashcam viewer takes about 3 minutes to load. So it sites there for some time before it actually loads to the UI where you can select Sentry / Dashcam recordings.
If it's taking that long to load, you probably have too many videos saved on it. Mine gets that way after a lot of sentry videos accumulate. Erase them or format and it will open almost immediately again.

As for this USB issue, sometimes unplugging works and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't work, I've found that a car reset ALWAYS works to make the drive mount again.

Until they fix this issue, I have placed the dashcam icon in the dock so I can see when it isn't working (red "X" on the icon). I check that as soon as I get in the car and either unplug, reinsert, or reset the car until the X goes away. It's a pain but I'd rather not miss something critical.

Upvote 0
I may have found a work around for the Dashcam unavailable check USB error (the tiny red X on the Dashcam icon.) While attempting to hit the backup camera icon I instead tapped the Dashcam icon (the Dashcam icon was displaying a red dot, not an X at the time.) This caused the Model Y to save the current Dashcam video. After that, I noticed my Model Y did not display the red X on the Dashcam icon even after a few days. Since then I have been intentionally saving a Dashcam recording every day or every other day. So far the red X has not returned. (Perhaps saving the Dashcam recording clears the buffer.) Periodically I open the Dashcam Viewer and delete the saved recording to free up space.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I may have found a work around for the Dashcam unavailable check USB error (the tiny red X on the Dashcam icon.) While attempting to hit the backup camera icon I instead tapped the Dashcam icon (the Dashcam icon was displaying a red dot, not an X at the time.) This caused the Model Y to save the current Dashcam video. After that, I noticed my Model Y did not display the red X on the Dashcam icon even after a few days. Since then I have been intentionally saving a Dashcam recording every day or every other day. So far the red X has not returned. (Perhaps saving the Dashcam recording clears the buffer.) Periodically I open the Dashcam Viewer and delete the saved recording to free up space.
I saved a clip yesterday afternoon hoping that would work for me too. Got in first thing this morning and had the red x.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
Upvote 0