Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Unavailable Check USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if anyone else is having issues with a message being thrown stating that the Dashcam Is unavailable, check USB.
This just started happening. So I formatted the USB drive and enabled/disabled the Dashcam and the red X disappeared but came back again with the same message. Pulled the drive and viewed it on my pc and recent files have been written to it.
Anyone?

I saved a clip yesterday afternoon hoping that would work for me too. Got in first thing this morning and had the red x.
Ok, this got weirder last night.

As I said above, I got in yesterday morning to move the car forward in the driveway and I had the red x. I noticed this because I was going to try to save the video. In the afternoon I moved it back in the driveway, but I didn’t look at the icon so I don’t know what is was. Then last night, when I went to get it dinner, it was working again. I saved a clip then, so we’ll see what happens today.

Ok, maybe not weird, but I’ve not seen it correct itself, much less that quickly.

Upvote 0
Now mine is doing the same thing. I hadn’t read this so assumed the Tesla usb had gone bad. Just bought a 256gb Sandisk one and it worked for a short drive now this too has the red X. I think it’s a software issue. Hopefully Tesla will rectify it. So irritating though especially having bought a new usb too

Upvote 0
Mine is pretty consistently failing. I'll often see it have the red "x" when I first get in and then it goes away after a few seconds. I have other times where it won't go away -- occasionally reinserting the drive fixes it but, more often than not, I have to reboot the car which gets it working again for a day or so. I'm getting pretty tired of this bug and am looking forward to a firmware update that fixes it.

Upvote 0
D5ED0F27-0095-437E-86EF-B252B2FB147E.jpeg
This must be something new. When I plug my SSD in the car “USB” pops up o_O?

Upvote 0
Just as a follow-up. I opened a service ticket on this issue and Tesla got back to me and explained it is a known problem and will be fixed in a future firmware release. They were very thorough and requested exact dates as to when the red X appeared last, and asked for my permission to close the ticket. Nothing we can do now but wait.

Upvote 0
My 2018 LR Model 3 with firmware 2022.12.3.20 and the Jeda SSD is having this exact same issue. If I unplug the SSD and plug it back in then it works, but the next time I start my car I get the Dashcam unavailable error. I can't keep unpugging the SSD because it's such a tight fit that it will end up rubbing down the carpet inside the console. Why is it taking Tesla so long to fix this?!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My 2018 LR Model 3 with firmware 2022.12.3.20 and the Jeda SSD is having this exact same issue. If I unplug the SSD and plug it back in then it works, but the next time I start my car I get the Dashcam unavailable error. I can't keep unpugging the SSD because it's such a tight fit that it will end up rubbing down the carpet inside the console. Why is it taking Tesla so long to fix this?!
There has been words and confirmation the next update coming does fix this issue. Waiting for that update too my friend.

Upvote 0
There has been words and confirmation the next update coming does fix this issue. Waiting for that update too my friend.
Since a lot of us are on different firmware versions currently, I wonder how we will get the fix update exactly. Resist is on 20 and I am on 12, for example. Hopefully it’s not gonna be in a much later version and I have to go through all the updates in between first 😭

Upvote 0
Since a lot of us are on different firmware versions currently, I wonder how we will get the fix update exactly. Resist is on 20 and I am on 12, for example. Hopefully it’s not gonna be in a much later version and I have to go through all the updates in between first 😭
On Twitter by Teslascope said a user confirmed that on FireWire 2022.16.1.1 this issue is fixed. So I guess we’ll see?

Upvote 0
I have 2022.12.3.20 because my car has the FSD beta. I was stuck on 2022.4.5.21 for a long time. Updates for FSD beta users seem to take a while for us to get them. Just looking at the Stats app I can see 3 updates after mine, but nothing for FSD beta Model 3's.

But I don't understand why Tesla hasn't fixed this issue by now, because we've basically lost a safety feature. I thought Tesla was more of a software company that employed smart people? We've lost Dashcam evidence to prove our innocence from an accident and lost Sentry Mode to protect our cars. I'd think this would be more of a priority than adding more games to our cars.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: m a x i m u s
Upvote 0
I haven't gone through all 8 pages of this thread, but found it when I noticed my 2021 TM3 showing dashcam "unavailable" while driving. I've had the car for 9 months and ~8600 miles, still using the included Tesla USB drive. At first I figured it was just full (too new for wearout) and reformatted. Rebooted the car but it still showed "unavailable" at times.

To be at least a little objective and quantitative (albeit with a m0nsTroUs! sample size of 1) I pulled the drive and ran a bad blocks diagnostic on it. That came back with zero errors. It's worth noting that the controllers for these drives have error correction and wear-leveling built-in that's transparent to the host computer (in our case, the car's MCU). They silently bypass bad flash cells until they encounter uncorrectable errors.

I suspect for flash drive wear-out, the car wouldn't start showing "unavailable" or displaying errors until it starts seeing read/write/seek errors, or is just unable to mount the drive because the filesystem (FAT, which is 45 years old this year) is corrupt. That this is clearly not the case with my Tesla-branded USB drive, which suggests today's earlier post from @rjpjnk covers the root cause for at least some of the "unavailable" indications we're seeing.

All that said, I'm still going to grab a Samsung Pro Endurance MicroSD card and MobileMate USB adapter, and use the Tesla-branded stick where I'll actually see and enjoy it. It'll see much lighter duty shuttling screenshots between my oscilloscope and laptop.

-mtbkrdave

PS, had to make this after my previous 2019 TM3 chewed through its first USB stick... What About Bob? never gets old. ;)

View attachment 815033

Upvote 0