Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Unavailable Check USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if anyone else is having issues with a message being thrown stating that the Dashcam Is unavailable, check USB.
This just started happening. So I formatted the USB drive and enabled/disabled the Dashcam and the red X disappeared but came back again with the same message. Pulled the drive and viewed it on my pc and recent files have been written to it.
Anyone?

I got it fixed. software wasn't the issue for me. I am on 2022.16.1.2. I had this problem since 2-3 patches ago.

what I did was i had to manually create the folder 'TeslaCam' from my PC. I tested on BOTH Samsung ssd I have and the Tesla USB that comes with it when you get the car.

It's been 3 days and no hiccup or anything.
I'm on 2022.12.3.20 and I concur with your workaround. Using the PC, I formatted the USB drive as FAT32 and created the necessary folders. It's been working for 12 days so far. I think formatting the USB drive in the car from Tesla menu creates this problem.

Reactions: BitJam
Upvote 0
Just wondering if anyone else is having issues with a message being thrown stating that the Dashcam Is unavailable, check USB.
This just started happening. So I formatted the USB drive and enabled/disabled the Dashcam and the red X disappeared but came back again with the same message. Pulled the drive and viewed it on my pc and recent files have been written to it.
Anyone?
I had the same issue

installing the latest update solved it

Upvote 0
I don't want to start a fight but I'm very curious to know why the fix works on most cars but not on all cars. In such situations it is usually a hardware issue (since, presumably, the software is the same). Maybe a faulty usb stick or perhaps dirt or dust in the usb connectors. The output of the dmesg command can be helpful but AFAIK is not available.

If it were me, I would try cleaning the connectors and try using a different usb port (if one is available) and a different usb stick. If all that fails, I would try putting some mp3 songs on a different usb stick and see if I can get that to work reliably.

Upvote 0
Just as I was starting to wonder how long it had been since I had this issue (maybe fixed!), this weekend it failed miserably.

It took 15 minutes of multiple reboots and multiple plug / unplugs to get it back. My stick has USB A on one end, and USB C on the other, so I was able to try both the glovebox and center console ports. I had better luck with the center console ports, but it was still hit and miss. I put in a service ticket this time around, expecting it to be cancelled but hoping it will be another data point for the company.

Incidentally, I use a USB to Micro SD adapter, with a high endurance SD card designed for dashcams:

There are 2 things unique about this setup that I suppose could be causing the issue:
1. There are 2 ports on the stick, one SD and one micro SD. I used to have persistent USB not formatted errors (but dashcam/sentry still worked fine) that turned out to be due to the second slot being left empty. I plugged in an old SD with a bunch of music on it and that error disappeared (and the music works too).
2. My MicroSD is 256GB, which the car couldn't format itself. I had to format it using the computer, and again it worked fine.

I don't know if my "non-standard" setup is causing it to still have issues or not. Maybe I'll try a stint using the default Tesla stick and see if it comes back...

Upvote 0
I don't want to start a fight but I'm very curious to know why the fix works on most cars but not on all cars. In such situations it is usually a hardware issue (since, presumably, the software is the same). Maybe a faulty usb stick or perhaps dirt or dust in the usb connectors. The output of the dmesg command can be helpful but AFAIK is not available.

If it were me, I would try cleaning the connectors and try using a different usb port (if one is available) and a different usb stick. If all that fails, I would try putting some mp3 songs on a different usb stick and see if I can get that to work reliably.
It’s -possible- that there’s more main memory in newer models so fragmentation can still be present but doesn’t lead to a failure to mount the volume…

I’d also imagine some folks have large volumes containing music/media that may exacerbate the issue.

Upvote 0
Because many of us are on the FSD beta and didn't get firmware 2022.16.1.2, we're still on 2022.12.3.20 and don't get frequent updates anymore or updates that match everyone else.
Thanks for the clarification! When you said that installing the latest update didn't work for you I had assumed you meant 2022.16.x.

So are we in agreement that 2022.16.x fixed the problem for most people most of the time but, unfortunately, many/most/all people on FSD beta haven't gotten this upgrade yet and therefore still suffer from the usb problem?

• Informative
Reactions: 101dals
Upvote 0
Thanks for the clarification! When you said that installing the latest update didn't work for you I had assumed you meant 2022.16.x.

So are we in agreement that 2022.16.x fixed the problem for most people most of the time but, unfortunately, many/most/all people on FSD beta haven't gotten this upgrade yet and therefore still suffer from the usb problem?
So far so good for the past couple of weeks with 16.2.

Upvote 0
I’d also imagine some folks have large volumes containing music/media that may exacerbate the issue.
For me, the sucky usb UI makes a large collection impracticable/unusable but I will try a 65 GiB collection to see if it causes the mounting problem to re-appears on my 2021 MY.

OT: BTW: I just got back from a beautiful trip to Gila Hot Springs. There was no cell coverage for my phone or my car for almost all of the trip so usb was my main source of music. The drive is twisty and spectacular but a lot of it is not suitable for AP. I did see crosses with flowers on a few of the corners.

Upvote 0
Mine has been acting up big time today. Pulling the flash drive did nothing, neither did reformatting. Had to reboot twice for the x to go away. It had been working fine for a few days before today.
I have had the same issue. Just posted some information on what I have been dealing with and now backup camera does not work. $500 some odd dollars I’m being charged now.

Upvote 0

Just went through a service request before finding this thread. Here was the final conclusion from a technician in the Tesla service diagnosis team:

After reviewing the vehicle data: There is a known characteristic in the FSD Beta firmware that is causing your concern. This issue is under investigation and operation should improve with future updates without any part replacement. please note this may not mean the NEXT firmware update. You are welcome to reach out the FSD Beta team to ask to be removed from the program and once the vehicle is updated to fleet firmware the USB should not unmount daily. Future Beta updates may also resolve this concern, but we do not have access to view into the Beta programs releases. If you have no other service concerns, please let me know if I can close this mobile request for you.

Needless to day, I didn't want to give up FSD Beta. So I guess I'll have to live with the problem for the time being.

Upvote 0