Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DashCam USB corruption - getting frustrated - whose solution WORKS??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use a 32GB USB3 thumb drive I had laying around. Formatted FAT32/MBR with MacOS and I did the minimum secure erase as part of the format. No issues for over a week and I drive everyday. Possibly the secure erase (writing zeros to the drive) helped. Or maybe it’s just luck.

File a bug report telling Tesla that you're getting filesystem corruption on the dasocam drive and wait for the next software update.

I'm getting slower and slower on repairing the inevitable filesystem corruptions as time goes by. There are many different things people have documented here on the forum as "fixing" the issue for them. However, it really boils down to the only real solution is to wait for Tesla to release an updated firmware where the system stops writing to the USB drive and closes out the filesystem BEFORE it cuts power to the drive. Any other thing you do as an end user just has a slight possibility of masking their poor programming. Even on modern journaled filesystems that shouldn't have filesystem corruption, when you unsafely unmount the filesystem often enough (more than once a day), you'll eventually get an unrepairable filesystem corruption.

Reactions: Brisket5652
I had 2 16 gb drives that worked and after less than a day failed. Then I got a 64 gb drive from amazon that I had to use guiformat.exe to get it to fat32. And for some reason it has worked for the past week. I have no idea why. Probably will fail but so far hasn't.

I've tried three different thumb drives - formatted FAT32 with EASUS Partition Master AND guiformat.exe AND, for the older 8GB native Windows - read through all the posts I can find. STILL having corruption issues. Using these:

http://a.co/d/aUyIKBr

I'm using the 32GB version of this Samsung drive, formatted on MacOS. So far I haven't seen the "X" on the camera icon, but I do see FSCKxxx.rec files when I plug the drive in the computer, which means there is some filesystem corruption going on (lost clusters).

I received firmware 2018.42.2 today. I have inserted a freshly formatted USB drive and will do some testing later today to see if it has been fixed.

I received firmware 2018.42.2 today. I have inserted a freshly formatted USB drive and will do some testing later today to see if it has been fixed.
Following up: I did some driving and then removed the drive from the car (even stopped dashcam recording via long press), but unfortunately there are still FSCKxxxx.REC files in the root directory, and two of the video files have zero length. So it looks like the issue has not been fixed.

Although a few have claimed a week of operation, I have only seen one thing that looked like a viable solution to file corruption.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071HMW1KB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With shutdown protection, this might protect against file corruptions caused by removing power while recording. Mine comes today, but when can we say it works? So far we've only lasted about a day at a time.
I’ve been trying this drive, too. On Day 2 so far, though I had a USB drive go five days before crapping out. Fingers crossed.

256gb Samsung Fit+

Formatted FAT32 on Mac

Then used a Windows 7 PC to create the TeslaCam folder cause I was worried that the Mac would add hidden junk files if I used it to create the folder.

I checked the video files a couple of times and they seem fine. So far no corruption issues.

I've tried three different thumb drives - formatted FAT32 with EASUS Partition Master AND guiformat.exe AND, for the older 8GB native Windows - read through all the posts I can find. STILL having corruption issues. Using these:

http://a.co/d/aUyIKBr

http://a.co/d/dtHOOoJ

and, for S & G MIMOBOT - The Original Cool Collectible Character USB Flash Drive – Mimoco

SO - the question now - who has a solution that WORKS?

Anyone??

Chris

This solution ([V9] How to Format USB into 2 Partitions for DashCam and Music [Windows]) posted by @SomeJoe7777 worked perfectly for me with a Sandisk 256Gb Sandisk Cruzer Glide USB 3.0 available at Costco for $40 (Costco Wholesale). Divides the drive into a 16gb partition for the dashcam and the remainder for music. Works great. M3 plays hi rez flac and wav music files too up to 24/192.

Reactions: Galve2000
256gb Samsung Fit+

Formatted FAT32 on Mac

Then used a Windows 7 PC to create the TeslaCam folder cause I was worried that the Mac would add hidden junk files if I used it to create the folder.

I checked the video files a couple of times and they seem fine. So far no corruption issues.

You prefer the Windows hidden junk files? :p

Curious, why do you need a 256GB thumb drive for the cam?

• Funny
Reactions: commasign