Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam USB drive is getting full.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it shoudl overwrite the rolling footage which is just 1hr so not very big. But it won’t overwrite anythign you save (probably not that much), or Sentry footage (which is probably pretty big as every clip is 10 mins)

It'll be your sentry mode saved clips which are taking up all the space. Reformatting is the quickest way of clearing it up. Dashcam does just overwrite every hour, so the space is either used by dashcam clips you've saved, or most likely, loads of sentry mode clips.

I believe it will overwrite old sentry footage with new or dashcam saves, the rolling footage never uses any additional space.
To clear space, just go into the viewer and delete any old sentry clips, it lets you choose between dashcam and sentry. It's nice and quick just click them, click delete, click ok, onto next.

Reactions: spooksman
Sentry and last 60 minutes of dashcam footage self manages, saved dashcam clips, ie honk horn or press save, will accumulate and need managing to avoid free space being used up.

1622810458621.png

I kind of agree with Pagemakers though, format erases everything. I often record interesting things with the dashcam that I might want to keep. Sentry mode is useless after a week or so as I'd have noticed by then if anything had been damaged etc. So the practice of overwriting sentry clips and leaving dash cam is fine, so why warn about it more than once. I only manually delete my sentry clips to get rid of the warning.

I kind of agree with Pagemakers though, format erases everything. I often record interesting things with the dashcam that I might want to keep. Sentry mode is useless after a week or so as I'd have noticed by then if anything had been damaged etc. So the practice of overwriting sentry clips and leaving dash cam is fine, so why warn about it more than once. I only manually delete my sentry clips to get rid of the warning.
really the only complaint we should be having is that it should be easierto transfer the files via your app or some other way to your phone. that way you could keep the videos you want and make it easier to share them and then easy enough to reformat and wipe the drive once theyre saved

really the only complaint we should be having is that it should be easierto transfer the files via your app or some other way to your phone. that way you could keep the videos you want and make it easier to share them and then easy enough to reformat and wipe the drive once theyre saved

In the early days of TeslaCam this was really easy - (apart from a few uncommon solutions) you had to remove the card to view any footage so you had to put it in a PC etc so easy to transfer and cleanup at the same time :rolleyes:

Thankfully we now have in car viewer, but ironically its made some tasks more of a burden. I think that an in app TeslaCam viewer was rumoured for some release or another, but other than long overdue in car viewing, TeslaCam only seems to get the occasional update so we shouldn't hold our breadth on that one.

All you need to do is format the drive from the touchscreen, A format clears it all and makes the TeslaCam directory, couldn't be more simple
I totally get that. That’s not my point.

IF it is supposed to overwrite the old stuff automatically what is the point of throwing up a permanent warning telling me the drive is almost full. I don’t care. Just overwrite the old crap.

If they must throw up a warning it should be “overwrite old data. Y/N” and be done with it. Now I have a warning triangle permanently on my screen. It could be autopilot is not working correctly or any or serious warning. In fact, it’s just my USB drive is almost full which is masking anything else.

IF it is supposed to overwrite the old stuff
It's not supposed to overwrite Sentry and Saved clips. If you want to get rid of it without taking it out, format the drive in the car (like the warning message says)

More software not thought out properly.

Actually it's thought out properly in this case. It should not automatically overwrite sentry clips - the whole point is to save them in-case you discover damage later. It's a pretty simple procedure to format the drive in the car or delete sentry footage with your computer.

If you don't like the function, turn sentry off completely and the drive will never get full ---- until it fails from years of overwriting as all memory does.

You could also purchase a much larger drive to reduce the frequency you need to spend 10 seconds to reformat it.

It's not supposed to overwrite Sentry and Saved clips. If you want to get rid of it without taking it out, format the drive in the car (like the warning message says)

Actually it's thought out properly in this case. It should not automatically overwrite sentry clips - the whole point is to save them in-case you discover damage later. It's a pretty simple procedure to format the drive in the car or delete sentry footage with your computer.

If you don't like the function, turn sentry off completely and the drive will never get full ---- until it fails from years of overwriting as all memory does.

You could also purchase a much larger drive to reduce the frequency you need to spend 10 seconds to reformat it.
Is a permanent warning triangle really proportional or necessary? Sentry clips beyond a week are no use if you’ve not noticed damage in that time. Ffs

Reactions: Pagemakers