Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam USB drive is getting full.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not supposed to overwrite Sentry and Saved clips. If you want to get rid of it without taking it out, format the drive in the car (like the warning message says)
Look at the user manual quote in post #10
Only saved stuff should not over-write. Not sentry clips as you state.
Since I have no saved material I shouldn’t be warned that my drive is getting full. Just overwrite as it’s supposed to.

I totally get that. That’s not my point.

IF it is supposed to overwrite the old stuff automatically what is the point of throwing up a permanent warning telling me the drive is almost full. I don’t care. Just overwrite the old crap.

If they must throw up a warning it should be “overwrite old data. Y/N” and be done with it. Now I have a warning triangle permanently on my screen. It could be autopilot is not working correctly or any or serious warning. In fact, it’s just my USB drive is almost full which is masking anything else.
The issue here is not one that Tesla can solve tho and that’s one of data corruption. If they just let it constantly overwrite without telling you the first message you would get would be USB unavailable when it totally fails after 12-18 months.

Rolling video recordings are terrible for data storage and corruption, in my experience even endurance cards in dash cams are lucky to last 18 months before failing.

Reformatting might not seem like the logical choice but saving the clips you want and then doing a fresh format is the best solution for drive life.

Agree this could be better identified in the manual but is 100% the way the system is set up.

I’ve just formatted my USB but 1 recording remains which is located in the “onboard area”. I guess that’s the car’s own storage. How do I delete that. Swiping does not offer a delete option nor is there a delete option on the video itself.

Look at the user manual quote in post #10
Only saved stuff should not over-write. Not sentry clips as you state.
Since I have no saved material I shouldn’t be warned that my drive is getting full. Just overwrite as it’s supposed to.
You seem to confuse "footage" with "saved events"

Saved sentry events are not overwritten - this is the whole point of the system, the manual does not contradict this.

Saved clips go to another folder and fill up the drive - when someone walks close enough to trigger it - it saves that clip... And continues overwriting the folder it records to.

I’ve just formatted my USB but 1 recording remains which is located in the “onboard area”. I guess that’s the car’s own storage. How do I delete that. Swiping does not offer a delete option nor is there a delete option on the video itself.
I have one of those, showing the car gently rising up. Alarm went off when tyres were fitted.

The last alarm event is saved in the car's onboard memory.