Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam USB recording no longer continuous?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed by playing with the new 2020.12.5 Dascam viewer that the Dashcam no longer seems to continuously record to the USB drive with recent software updates, not sure when it happened. I now only get recordings when I explicitly save by pressing the dashcam icon. Anyone else notice this?

Reactions: Mercedes fan
I'm only a month in to my model S and am still rather baffled by the way it works (or doesn't).
I've never had a dashcam before and was expecting a continuous recording, not 60 second ones. Also I thought it would record until the end of the available memory and then over-write - which from other posts is not the case.
Then what the icons represent is an ongoing mystery! There's one that looks like a saucepan with an arrow pointing into it - nothing in the "manual". Does it mean a USB is to be inserted? IS inserted? Is recording?
None of this is helped by the very slow display - things show up long after something is touched and it's impossible to know whether they change as a result of the touch or are trying to tell me something.
Nor is it helped by the car doing different things on different days for no reason - it's impossible to troubleshoot by elimination!
So no, can't help!

I just noticed by playing with the new 2020.12.5 Dascam viewer that the Dashcam no longer seems to continuously record to the USB drive with recent software updates, not sure when it happened. I now only get recordings when I explicitly save by pressing the dashcam icon. Anyone else notice this?

They are still recorded under Recents folder, but you can only view Saved and Sentry in the car. Try the following to see all:

TeslaCam Video WebApp Player

I'm not sure about this so you may need to double check. I THINK that it's always recording and the files are placed in a separate folder and are continuously being overwritten. Honking the horn or pressing the icon saves the file in a different folder and the viewer only allows you to review the "saved" files. If you remove the USB memory and put it into your computer, you should be able to review all the videos. I am not sure about this so hopefully someone can chime in.

• Disagree
They are still recorded under Recents folder, but you can only view Saved and Sentry in the car. Try the following to see all:

TeslaCam Video WebApp Player
Yeah, I checked the Recents folder and it only had the last few minutes of when I was sitting in the car playing with the new viewer. No video from my earlier drive that day, plenty of space on the drive. How long does it save the videos in that folder? I thought it kept until overwritten when out of space?

They definitely introduced automatic overwriting of old files about six months ago. Interesting that there are reports of drives filling up again. I will have to take the car out tomorrow and see if it still records everything while in motion.

You would think that the code for viewing the videos didn't require changing any of the previous code that handled recording of the video streams.

yes.....I am now having difficulty in viewing the drives while parked in my wife's Model 3 car......I press the save button and it saves....when I press the view button, I see "Sentry" and "DashCam"......but there is no running video to view the drive.....I think dk10348 is correct.....I took the USB out of my "S" and looked at drive video on my MacBook Pro but it was all scattered and not timed correctly......My wife's Model 3 has just gotten the 12.5 and has the same issues as I tried to review her drives today.....

I am really disappointed in this......hopefully I will be able to see video on the computer.....will try tomorrow

Yeah, I checked the Recents folder and it only had the last few minutes of when I was sitting in the car playing with the new viewer. No video from my earlier drive that day, plenty of space on the drive. How long does it save the videos in that folder? I thought it kept until overwritten when out of space?

They are only kept for 1 clock hour. So if you park and come back after an hour they should be deleted. (Or you should only have videos from the last hour you were parked.)

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors

Sentry - Yes

TeslaCam - Keeps just last 10 minutes unless you do a save

• Helpful
if true, that really sucks.....what is the use of having a dash cam if you cam save or view older drives

It is to save events, like accidents. You can save the last 10 minutes by tapping the Dashcam icon or honking the horn, if you have enabled that option. (So you could honk your horn every 10 minutes to keep everything. :rolleyes:)

Hi r1200gs4ok,

While it is not perfect I am using a Roadie 128 GB...
It keeps the files for a long time...
It is a Raspberry Pi implementation of a file server...
They have some things to work out.
2020.12.5 changed the format of the TeslaCam USB device

You are able to view files recorded onto the Roadie in the car.
You are also able to map the Roadie as a network drive on your home wifi
and view them inside of your home...

As I said, not perfect now, but getting better as the time passes.

Shawn

• Informative
Reactions: r1200gs4ok
It is to save events, like accidents. You can save the last 10 minutes by tapping the Dashcam icon or honking the horn, if you have enabled that option. (So you could honk your horn every 10 minutes to keep everything. :rolleyes:)
ok....but that still sucks.....I would think that the dashcam should be continuous recording while driving and save every ten minutes automatically....then you can go back and review......but on the other hand, if you are on a long trip, say for 575 miles, that would really load up the card....but if it had overwrite capability, you could be ok......I have a PureTesla USB with 256gb.....I should have enough for an hour or two...

would be nice it Tesla would give the full detailed instructions or a place to go to read about things like this....The revision page is too small

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Hi r1200gs4ok,

While it is not perfect I am using a Roadie 128 GB...
It keeps the files for a long time...
It is a Raspberry Pi implementation of a file server...
They have some things to work out.
2020.12.5 changed the format of the TeslaCam USB device

You are able to view files recorded onto the Roadie in the car.
You are also able to map the Roadie as a network drive on your home wifi
and view them inside of your home...

As I said, not perfect now, but getting better as the time passes.

Shawn
Thanks Shawn.....I have not heard of Raspberry Pi...what is that and what is entailed with implementation

I'm not sure about this so you may need to double check. I THINK that it's always recording and the files are placed in a separate folder and are continuously being overwritten. Honking the horn or pressing the icon saves the file in a different folder and the viewer only allows you to review the "saved" files. If you remove the USB memory and put it into your computer, you should be able to review all the videos. I am not sure about this so hopefully someone can chime in.

Yes.....pretty much correct except you must first go into options in your car and check the "save file upon honk" option.

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Hi R1200gs4ok,

Raspberry Pi is a small computer...

To see the details of the Roadie go to tryroadie.com
I am not their sales rep - I just (currently) like their product.
It stores a few WEEKS of dashcam data in the recent clips folder...

Check it out - Remember it's not perfect - But for me it is better than
constantly fumbling with another USB drive...

Shawn

You mean like the manual for the car? (They have three pages on the Dashcam feature.)
not really....the revision page on the screen in the car that give new revision info.....the other issue is they constantly update things in the blind....no one knows it happen unless they figure it out themselves...its really a shame.....but on the other hand, we get updated very often so we do have the most up-to-date functionality.

Hi R1200gs4ok,

Raspberry Pi is a small computer...

To see the details of the Roadie go to tryroadie.com
I am not their sales rep - I just (currently) like their product.
It stores a few WEEKS of dashcam data in the recent clips folder...

Check it out - Remember it's not perfect - But for me it is better than
constantly fumbling with another USB drive...

Shawn
thanks Shawn....ill check it out