Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam USB with 2019.28.3.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i had cause to visit Milton Keynes dealership with 3 minor things..Software was stuck on an update,a seal needing glued down and ONE windscreen wash jet not firing properly.
After 4.5 hours I was told 2 problems were fixed and they could not fix the software and Mothership would do it tomorrow.

Went home,back to work.....NO JETS WORKING PROPERLY,SEAL OK AND....Motherhip pushes software.....since the update my USB sticks work for about 5 mins then I get the green cross as if full..I have one 128 gig and an emergency 16 gig both doing this..All the usual stuff,deleting,empty trash,using first aid on Mac .

After being told I would have to rebook through app and go to Milton Keynes again for jets and that was my only solution.....
After holding my ground the girl said the one thing she could do is get someone from service to phone me...(after courteously speaking to her for 15 minutes!!!!)...I said that was all I asked...Anyway mobile Tesla man drove to me and fixed washers.

Still have USB problem..Stick not corrupted...Anyone else with intermittent Dashcam/Sentry?

i had cause to visit Milton Keynes dealership with 3 minor things..Software was stuck on an update,a seal needing glued down and ONE windscreen wash jet not firing properly.
After 4.5 hours I was told 2 problems were fixed and they could not fix the software and Mothership would do it tomorrow.

Went home,back to work.....NO JETS WORKING PROPERLY,SEAL OK AND....Motherhip pushes software.....since the update my USB sticks work for about 5 mins then I get the green cross as if full..I have one 128 gig and an emergency 16 gig both doing this..All the usual stuff,deleting,empty trash,using first aid on Mac .

After being told I would have to rebook through app and go to Milton Keynes again for jets and that was my only solution.....
After holding my ground the girl said the one thing she could do is get someone from service to phone me...(after courteously speaking to her for 15 minutes!!!!)...I said that was all I asked...Anyway mobile Tesla man drove to me and fixed washers.

Still have USB problem..Stick not corrupted...Anyone else with intermittent Dashcam/Sentry?
I use Samsung, Kensington or PNY camera / video grade mini ssd / "USB" mini cards that are meant for repeat video grade recording. In the past 12 months l have had ZERO failures unlike my old - cheap "USB" cards. These mini cards are used in security lights, cameras, video cameras, etc. "and do cost more" but are heat, moisture, cold " resistant.

I use a Samsung 128GB USB3.1 stick formatted to FAT32 single partition. It works but every time I plug it into my Windows 10 computer I get the message that it is corrupted and needs to be scanned and fixed. After the scan has completed I get the message that there is no problem and the stick works fine.

I use Samsung, Kensington or PNY camera / video grade mini ssd / "USB" mini cards that are meant for repeat video grade recording. In the past 12 months l have had ZERO failures unlike my old - cheap "USB" cards. These mini cards are used in security lights, cameras, video cameras, etc. "and do cost more" but are heat, moisture, cold " resistant.

Thanks for this, can you attach a link or exact product name for the USB drive(s) you are using? This would be a big help to everyone, there are a lot of posts on various forums about this 'too slow' error message.

Just read an article on Electrek, the author uses a Samsung T5 Portable SSD - 500GB - USB 3.1 External SSD for dashcam/sentry mode and has no problems. https://amzn.to/3037pGE.

Also mentioned in the article - software v10 adds the rear camera to sentry mode so 4 cameras recording now.

I have had the Samsung T5 SSD a while now and would highly recommend it.Not one single issue.

best wishes.

I think how it is formatted plays a big part and how well the USB plug fits into the Tesla USB socket. I've tested various combinations and there are definitely some repeatable electro/mechanical issues with some plug/socket combinations.
Also, many corruption issues can be prevented by making sure the dashcam is stopped, by pressing the dashcam icon until it turns grey, before moving the USB card and not allowing Windows to 'fix' a so called broken card - it may be to Windows but not to other xinux systems and should still remain accessible if the prompt is ignored.

Last edited:
Same here, using a Samsung T5 portable SSD with two partitions, one with the TeslaCam folder, the other with my music folder. Seems to work flawlessly as far as I can tell. FWIW it's plugged into the left USB port, not that I suspect this makes any difference.

I have had the Samsung T5 SSD a while now and would highly recommend it.Not one single issue.
Do you get gaps between each 'minutes' clip or do they roll on seamlessly? Also, any 0/1k segments? - I think that may not be a card/drive issue though having seen this only on rear view over the weekend.

Dashcam/sentry events can seem to coincidentally coincide with the event. So actual event may be missed due to it coinciding with end of segment, so split over 2 segments with slight gap between. Dashcam - save recording misses the event?

Easy to get flawless over a couple of weeks, but your longer term view appreciated especially if you caught some real events. I rotate 2 cards, one could be loosely described at faultless over a month, second identical one had been a right royal pita until I tweaked a few things/or coincidentally a software update. Its the little gaps every minute, occasional 1k file and timing of event splits that I would like to be sorted.

Last edited: