Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam video bucket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car was broken into while parked at a hotel in Tukwila, WA on our way up to dropping my daughter off at college. I should have known better to leave things in the car, but it was loaded up with her things and we really didn't have a choice. Parked near the front of the hotel, but there were no spots directly in a lit area, so that was probably mistake #2.

Perps scouted out the car of foot, looking into the windshield, and also using phone LED light to look in side windows. Then, they drove up, stopped right in front of my car, and got out, popped the back left window (main, not small) and started grabbing things through the window. LUCKILY, they couldn't get some totes through the window, so they opened the door which then triggered the alarm. They grabbed one tote and took off. Could have been much worse, but still stung since it was mainly my daughters personal stuff and had ZERO value to the thieves.

The nearest service center (Bellevue) was terrific and got me in that afternoon, had the new window installed in an hour. I was very impressed with their response.

The officer that responded from Tukwila PD was awesome and asked for the dashcam footage if it showed anything. It did. And he said they recognized the car from other cases. So, there may be justice some day.

One thing that I ponder is.. if I had the front "blinky light" on the Blackvue 550 would that have deterred them, or would they have just stolen the camera, too?

if I had the front "blinky light" on the Blackvue 550 would that have deterred them, or would they have just stolen the camera, too?

That's really a tough call... I oscillate on that. For now, I have the blinkin lights on both front and back. I figure a crook is going to try and grab the most valuable things in sight and run. To stop and figure out how to pull down the dashcam takes some extra time while the alarm is going off. Sure, it's not much time, but they'd have to stop and think about it and then do it. Maybe the smarter crooks would, but how smart are these small-time crooks anyway?

• Helpful
Reactions: davidc18
My car was broken into while parked at a hotel in Tukwila, WA

First, sorry for the mess and loss. That's really sad.

I'm also not sure about having my dashcam blink or not. I currently have it blinking. I believe most car creak ins are opportunity. People see a car that might have something and go for it. I would hope, if they see the blinking camera, they would avoid the car. A car that has a camera built in needs extra attention. You have to take your loot AND you have to rip the camera out which takes extra time. THen you still don't know if there isn't a second camera that you missed. So I think it's good to have the camera visible.

It's been a while. Here are some more videos since my last post here.

This is actually a 3 year old video, but I haven't posted it here yet and only made it public last year.

This was pretty much the final straw and convinced me to get winter tires.

This happened on the first day of my first trip. Just needed a couple clips replaced on the plastic shield, which service did for no extra cost at the next annual service.

Saw this on the way to check out someone's solar setup prior to getting solar installed at my house about a year ago. My dad is the one talking.

Unexpectedly icy 4-way stop.

Reactions: DavidB and David99
For lack of a better place to post this... don't know if this was just the trucker being a jerk, or actual Tesla hate. But luckily for me a state trooper came up and helped.

I know this might trigger some debate about proper lane merging etiquette (the zipper merge, as I was trying to do, is correct).

New York Times: Why Last-Second Lane Mergers Are Good for Traffic
1)I agree that the zipper technique is the best technique when everyone is doing it that way
2)When everyone else is doing the single line technique, even if a bit less efficient, it is rude and selfish to go past everyone else that is waiting. I routinely block the lane the same way when other cars can't get in the queue in an orderly fashion.

Reactions: DavidB