Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam video bucket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the same boat. I don't have a dash cam yet and am looking for the same things before I spend the money. I want good quality video, decent software for the Mac and for it to blend into the car if possible. I might be waiting for awhile but it seems with all the interest, the major corporations like Sony are finally seeing a market worth investing in. Things should only get better.

I'm in the same boat. I don't have a dash cam yet and am looking for the same things before I spend the money. I want good quality video, decent software for the Mac and for it to blend into the car if possible. I might be waiting for awhile but it seems with all the interest, the major corporations like Sony are finally seeing a market worth investing in. Things should only get better.

FWIW my Blackvue DR550 tucks up behind the rear view mirror and is virtually inapparent from the inside. The rear camera is not visible at all from the outside. Using the software I have turned off the flashing Security lights. No light or indicator visible from the front, and it sits in front of the mirror and is not very obvious. Works for me.

- - - Updated - - -

The Blackview has a reputation for overheating and it's probably a problem I can't solve:)

Overheating and failure was a major problem with older Blackvue dash cams. I am led to believe that newer models have improved ventilation and are more robust.

I'm getting a dash cam in my car too, just after I got the box installed I went out to see how it monitored my driving and I got cut off by some lady and had to drive onto the sidewalk to avoid hitting her car!

Would be nice to have a recording of stuff like that so I can report idiots like that.

my problem is when copying files off the card it looses connection to my computer and corrupts the card files and they turn into some odd USB file w/ funky characters and no file type. Even just viewing files on the card can make this happen and they just disappear into e space somewhere. never had a card do that before ( I was using the PITAsoft card or whatever came w/ the cam. new card in mail today)

Are you on a Mac? I noticed the same thing while using the microSD USB adapter.

Pacific Raceways, 2014/06/27
PacificRaceways109_Edited.jpg

Tesla telemetry notes a top speed of 120mph, but glancing through the footage the highest I saw when the GPS was working (i.e. not "---") was 109.
(The red star is covering up another vehicle. While it was hard to see anyway, I edited out of courtesy to the other driver.)

Here's a couple of mine:

From our recent NY trip-- gave a wide berth but stopped speeder STILL nearly caused crash. Laid on horn but still didn't earn her a second look from state trooper. Was closer than appears due to camera's wide lens.http://youtu.be/LGESJQCc6a8

Either in bad tune or deliberate "coal rolling"-- but note how WAY over the speed limit he is as he tries to be first at the next red light... and the next one... and the next... Coal Rolling? Near Ligonier, PA - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
My problem is that I'd love a dashcam but it needs to be tiny, no screen, as invisible as possible. So the Lukas LK7900 looks kinda interesting... but I haven't wanted it enough, yet, to plop down 250 bucks and deal with installation...
How hard was installation for yours? Where do you plug it in?

I have the Lukas in my Prius. It has been a great little camera. Seems to take a lot of abuse in the 100+ heat of the central valley and still working very nicely.

I'd recommend it although the dascam sites have a warning about poor quality on the units built after mine, but now those reports are old and I'm not sure if it was just a small batch. They do post a solution if you get a problem camera, but the fix is quite technical, and most would not be willing to do it. I really have not seen anything much better. It really is a market ripe for someone with some quality components.

Accident from this evening. This is the first accident I witnessed since I got my Mobius a couple months ago.

While I'm at it, here's road rage from a month ago. Bonus: Neil Tyson teaches you about electromagnetic wavelength in under 40 seconds.

Accident from this evening. This is the first accident I witnessed since I got my Mobius a couple months ago.

These cameras are going to solve the blame issue with road traffic accidents. Interesting to see the car on the main road didn't have his headlights on. Looks like the car crossing didn't even see him.

Interesting to see the car on the main road didn't have his headlights on. Looks like the car crossing didn't even see him.
Yeah. Further evidence to that is that I saw the SUV coming across and didn't see the jeep about to hit. It wasn't until I saw the sudden stop and heard the collision that I realized what had happened, kind of startled and glanced at it as I passed.

Last edited: