Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Video Didn't Record

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Resist

Mar 24, 2019
California
Drove around for hours today with the red dot on the dashcam icon there and was hoping to review the video on the display, but it said there was no dash cam video found. What the heck? I thought we could review the revolving dashcam video clips. Can we only do this now if they are manually saved?

Mine is doing this also. Dashcam shows it's recording but there is nothing.

The dashcam viewer shows a few random drives from days ago.

I tried reformating and it still is messing up. Sentry mode seems to be working though.

I rather go back to the old system, giving us the ability to view the footage on the screen really messed it up, I’m not able to record both sentry & Dashcam, if it does it’s a few seconds and that’s it, tried 2 memory devices. 500gb SSD that most on here use and a 256gb thumb drive. They both worked fine in the past. This happened after 2020.12.5

Fred

Reactions: BabyMazzola
Just completed the 2 minute shutdown as Tesla support suggested. Whadda you know, it worked. It is now recording and/or I’m able to see all recordings in the recent clips folder after I went for a 40 minute drive. My props to Tesla support for this simple fix. I suggest anyone having issues dashcam issues give it a go.

So, just received this from Tesla support today:

“Thank you for contacting Tesla. After reviewing the data from your car, I see that the computers have not rebooted in some time. Similar to a phone or tablet, this can cause features to not behave as they otherwise would. Please perform both of the troubleshooting steps below to reset:

Touchscreen reboot: Shift into Park and hold down both scroll buttons on the steering wheel until the touchscreen turns black and the Tesla logo appears. Note: Only restart the touchscreen while the vehicle is stopped and in Park. The car status display, safety warnings, backup camera, etc. will not be visible during the restart.

Power off the car completely: Touch 'Controls' > 'Safety & Security' > 'Power Off' and confirm. Tap the brake pedal to turn the car on, after waiting 2 minutes. Note: Restarting the touchscreen using the scroll buttons does not power the vehicle off and on.

If this does not resolve your concern please reply with, as specifically as possible, with the last date and time this occurred and any additional information that may be related and we will investigate further.

Thank you for your support to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.

Kind Regards,

Cody R | Tesla Support“

Believe he is referring to this.

How often should we be doing this in general?

Gosh I'm glad this thread is going - apparently, my USB thumb drive is no longer working, so sentry mode and dash cam haven't recorded a thing!

I gotta figure out what is going on, since this was a brand new USB drive (maybe 3 months old at this point). Do the thumb drives get worn out quickly on Teslas?

Suggestions welcome, at a bit of a loss as to what to do next. Anyone have a thumb drive brand/model that has worked perfectly for them?

Gosh I'm glad this thread is going - apparently, my USB thumb drive is no longer working, so sentry mode and dash cam haven't recorded a thing!

I gotta figure out what is going on, since this was a brand new USB drive (maybe 3 months old at this point). Do the thumb drives get worn out quickly on Teslas?

Suggestions welcome, at a bit of a loss as to what to do next. Anyone have a thumb drive brand/model that has worked perfectly for them?

Define "no longer working"? Does the dashcam icon still appear at all?

If you put it into a PC does the PC recognizes it?

Define "no longer working"? Does the dashcam icon still appear at all?

If you put it into a PC does the PC recognizes it?

That's right - I can't even read it from my PC. That is, it sees that there is something connected to the USB port, but it can't read any data from it.

The dashcam light was appearing though before I took it out.

I'm thinking it's time to install some ugly third party thing instead of struggling with Sentry and Dashcam. I just want something reliable, and from everything I read Sentry and Dashcam are anything *but* reliable.

What model drive were you using? “Regular” USB drives aren’t designed for the continual writing the Tesla does.

If you touch the icon does it save the past 5 min plus future 5 min?
Can I adjust the bias to 8 minutes past plus 2 min future?

It doesn't save future footage at all, because Tesla hasn't perfected the time machine yet.

When you press the dashcam button to save something it saves the past 10 minutes- that's it.

Same thing it does when sentry mode goes to alert or alarm status.

That's right - I can't even read it from my PC. That is, it sees that there is something connected to the USB port, but it can't read any data from it.

The dashcam light was appearing though before I took it out.

This is confusing... if the dashcam light was on (the red light on the dashcam icon- NOT the sentry icon which has nothing to do with recording) then the drive was working... so I have to assume you mean the sentry light, not the dashcam light, was on?

Does your PC give you the option to format the drive? (or if you have firmware 2020.16.2.1 which about 1/3rd of the fleet has now- you can format it again in the car)

I guess my other question is- are you sure it EVER worked?

I'm thinking it's time to install some ugly third party thing instead of struggling with Sentry and Dashcam. I just want something reliable, and from everything I read Sentry and Dashcam are anything *but* reliable.

I've been using it flawlessly for over 18 months now.

I'm running the 128GB version of one of the two USB keys recommended in the owners manual- the Samsung Fit Plus.