Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Video Didn't Record

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also had this problem since the in-car sentry viewer update came out. Both dash and sentry footage weren't all being recorded and weren't visible in the car even though it said it was recording. I reformatted my drive and it's been working fine ever since.

What model drive were you using? “Regular” USB drives aren’t designed for the continual writing the Tesla does.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head. I bought my flash drive while back, and tested it right away - seemed to work fine. But I didn't get one that was recommended in the manual, in fact I'm not even sure there was a Tesla recommendation for one at the time. So the frequent writes may have made it eventually fail. Unfortunate because it was a more expensive one, like 512GB, but not a big deal.

I'll check the manual and buy one that it recommends, unless any of y'all have one that you think is even better / more reliable.

As I mentioned earlier, 18+ months of perfect operation on the Samsung Fit Plus recommended in the manual (I have the 128GB one)

Some folks will insist you need a high endurance SDcard... you don't. For one thing the car doesn't write nearly as much data as those cards are really needed for- for another it then adds another point of failure (a USB to SD adapter) and a number of folks have had those fail on them too.

Some will insist you need an SSD... you don't. The operating temp range is generally narrower than either keys or sdcards (sometimes narrow enough even cabin overheat protection might not be sufficient), cost is several times higher, and with the car writing only a small amount of data, at very low speeds, on a USB 2.0 port, you get no advantages from the higher performance of the SSD either. Plus it's physically larger and draws 5-10x more power too.

TONS of threads where all the points above have been argued of course- and I suspect we'll get another one here shortly.

But that's my advice based on all the actual data and specs known- and what Tesla themselves recommend in the owners manual.

Reactions: Ilikestuff
I have the following issue with dashcam viewer. Tesla records automatically into recent clips folder. Yet when I open dashcam viewer, those videos don't show. When I unplug the flash drive and check on PC, the videos are there. Is dashcam viewer only showing clips that are saved by clicking camera icon as well as sentry videos?

I also can't find sentry vids that are recorded when parked in predefined locations. I have it set up to start recording everywhere except home parking. Yet, dashcam viewer doesn't show those too. Do you know by chance if this is supposed to happen as well?
If there are sentry events for the areas where they should be recording, then you should be able to view these recordings on your screen.

I don't know when it changed but the RecentClips folder used to have hours/days of footage. I recall it recording until the USB drive ran out of space. There was a little time break in-between the recordings probably the time it took the write the files. Now, it appears to only keep just about the last hour which is not good if something happen around the car more than an hour prior. I preferred the old process of almost continuous recording. Not sure why Tesla changed that but I hope they bring it back. My guess is this changed happen with one of Sentry updates and/or the In-car viewer updated although you can't even view the RecentClips from the In-car viewer. I do hope they go back to keeping as much footage as your USB drive can handle and only overwrite/delete when no space is available or when Sentry event requires it. It's a more complete security system that way. Because if something happens overnight around your car and Sentry isn't triggered you'll never know it.

I don't know when it changed but the RecentClips folder used to have hours/days of footage. I recall it recording until the USB drive ran out of space. There was a little time break in-between the recordings probably the time it took the write the files. Now, it appears to only keep just about the last hour which is not good if something happen around the car more than an hour prior. I preferred the old process of almost continuous recording. Not sure why Tesla changed that but I hope they bring it back. My guess is this changed happen with one of Sentry updates and/or the In-car viewer updated although you can't even view the RecentClips from the In-car viewer. I do hope they go back to keeping as much footage as your USB drive can handle and only overwrite/delete when no space is available or when Sentry event requires it. It's a more complete security system that way. Because if something happens overnight around your car and Sentry isn't triggered you'll never know it.

It may have been the SavedClips folder I'm thinking of instead of the RecentClips. The RecentClips were being moved/copied into the SavedClips folder where you would have days of clips like this images shows.

Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 2.41.58 PM.png