Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam, Window Tinting, Power Frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What HE said, please don't shoot the messenger.

I had Tesla mobile service come to adjust the headlights and change a rubber trim for my 2022 M3LR that I just picked up last week. The service tech was a real car guy (not just a Tesla aficionado) who himself owned a M3P. Anyway, I took the opportunity to pick his brain a little bit while he tinkered around.

1. Asked him about a constant 12V to install a dash cam and he said not in the 2022. There is absolutely no constant 12V and our 12V batteries are different even from the 2021 M3. It's a very small battery and showed it to me and it wouldn't die in a couple of years like the old one. He told me everything in this car is different.

2. Asked if I should get the Hannshow power frunk and he said not to. I told him I had seen the video on changing the frunk spring and the 2022 doesn't have that spring anymore and said that previous some M3s where people changed the springs had problem at high speeds since those weaker springs didn't have the strength to hold down the hood.

3. Asked him about tinting the back window and he said not to. We spoke about if that caused the cracks and he said there was no proof, but even then suggested NOT to tint he back nor the front windshield. He told me just to tint the sides.

Other than that I didn't really ask him much more, since I'm not interested in doing anything else on the car. He did tell me not to waste my time on any videos since it's a 2022 (is all new) and people just haven't had a chance to post many modifications to it yet. I'm not really that adventurous anyway.

Just FYI

Last edited:
What HE said, please don't shoot the messenger.

I had Tesla mobile service come to adjust the headlights and change a rubber trim for my 2022 M3LR that I just picked up last week. The service tech was a real car guy (not just a Tesla aficionado) who himself owned a M3P. Anyway, I took the opportunity to pick his brain a little bit while he tinkered around.

1. Asked him about a constant 12V to install a dash cam and he said not in the 2022. There is absolutely no constant 12V and our 12V batteries are different even from the 2021 M3. It's a very small battery and showed it to me and it wouldn't die in a couple of years like the old one. He told me everything in this car is different.

2. Asked if I should get the Hannshow power frunk and he said not to. I told him I had seen the video on changing the frunk spring and the 2022 doesn't have that spring anymore and said that previous some M3s where people changed the springs had problem at high speeds since those weaker springs didn't have the strength to hold down the hood.

3. Asked him about tinting the back windows and he said not to. We spoke about if that caused the cracks and he said there was no proof, but even then suggested NOT to tint he back nor the front windshield. He told me just to tint the sides.

Other than that I didn't really ask him much more, since I'm not interested in doing anything else on the car. He did tell me not to waste my time on any videos since it's a 2022 (is all new) and people just haven't had a chance to post many modifications to it yet. I'm not really that adventurous anyway.

Just FYI
Add this to the list of posts about Tesla employees just making things up, and Tesla owners believing them.

Add this to the list of posts about Tesla employees just making things up, and Tesla owners believing them.
Put up or shut up .... Find me the constant 12V, not a battery pack that plugs into the lighter, let me know how to make the frunk easier to close with the new 2022 spring config and prove to me this didn't happen because some water got into the electronics when doing the front windshield.

I don't believe everything, but it doesn't hurt to ask and then do some research.

Last edited: