TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

DashCam Wiring - Refreshed Model S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by radelman601, Aug 18, 2016.

1. radelman601

radelman601 Member

Hello.

I apologize if this is already discussed on another thread. I have been watching several threads related to installing a DashCam but there seems to be a lot of back and forth relative to the where to tap into the constant 12v connection. I am going to install a new Blackvue 650S 2-channel unit and need to know where I can tap into the 12v connection in a REFRESHED Model S so I can fully use the features of the camera even while parked.

Would appreciate feedback.

Thanks!

• Like x 1
  2. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Always in Ludicrous mode

I'm the microphone grill there is an extra connector you can use as discussed in all of the dash cam threads with step by step pictures!

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  3. radelman601

radelman601 Member

Thanks. When you review the threads it is sometimes hard to keep track of what is in the microphone grill area and what it isn't based on the flavors of vehicles.

4. Cmer

Cmer Member

I'll be in the same situation in a couple of months when I get my MS.

Is there a specific plug/connector I need to connect a dash cam to the power connector in the mic grill? I'd like to order all the parts now. thanks!

5. Cmer

Cmer Member

My understanding is that early MS had the connector, then between 2014-2015 or something like that, they stopped including the connector, and now the connector is back in 2016. (I'm sure I got my dates wrong). So anybody buying a MS from now on should have the connector.

6. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Always in Ludicrous mode

The wires are available on the USA refreshed car, if you have the european car the wires are used for the alarm I believe and not available.

7. radelman601

radelman601 Member

Thank Tech_Guy!!!

8. whitex

whitex Member

You can always check. The microphone grille comes down in 2s or less (at least pre-refresh it does), look inside. Check this forum for pictures of what it looks like and pinout - only 3 pins, I just used a volt meter for my wiring but I know I've seen labeled pictures in few posts here.

9. sorka

sorka Active Member

It takes about 10 minutes to route it through the headliner, down the a-pillar trim, and to the OBD-II connector.

10. wilheldp

wilheldp Member

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  11. ND100

ND100 Member

If you go down this path, how are people dealing with the fact that parking mode on many cameras requires use of both constant power and ACC-only power? Or are people leaving their cameras recording all the time/manually enabling/disabling?

Also, does anyone know if the power connector in the microphone area in refreshed cars is available in AU spec cars? (Haven't received the car yet)

• Funny x 1
  12. fallen888

fallen888 Member.. hehe, I said "member"

I'll be attempting this next month as well. I just googled and found this: Dash Cam | TeslaTap

Hope it's helpful.

13. ND100

ND100 Member

I wonder how the "route the cable to the frunk" actually works out (hard to tell from those photos). I've also had luck in the past routing cables to the rear of the car by feeding from the A pillar to the rear of a car without removing the headline itself. I'm curious whether that's also going to be true with the Model S.

14. whitex

whitex Member

Blackvue doesn't require switched - it automatically switches from parking to normal mode and back, plus the event mode triggered by G sensor.

15. Frankman60

Frankman60 Member

Thanks, I ordered the 12v connector with the Blackvue dashcam. I want to mount the cam behind the rear view mirror on my refreshed MS. But I see some horizontal slots on the black plastic housing that the dashcam would be mounted directly in front of. Does anyone know what these slots are for and if the dashcam in front of them will cause a problem?

16. wilheldp

wilheldp Member

They are fins on the AutoPilot sensor heat sink. I don't know how hot they get during use, but I decided it would be best to route the wiring to the right of them. The power and rear camera wires go into the headliner just to the right of the AP camera housing on mine, and it doesn't look bad at all. I would have preferred to run the wiring down the rearview mirror housing, but I couldn't see a clear path to route them into the rearview.

17. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

I should have the Blackvue and assorted connectors delivered today UPS. If I get them early I will install today and re- post my progress.
    Looks to be an easy install but I have said that before and been oh so wrong :(

18. ernie

ernie Member

With the mic grill install for power, are you cutting off the bulky 12V plug of the Blackview and wiring it direct or keeping it intact and stuffing all the wire behind the grill. I remember reading the blackvue had a voltage reduction through the plug and that's why it voids the warranty if it is cut off. Thx.

19. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

20. dss33

dss33 Member

Nice! I'm looking at this install myself. Any chance you can post a list/links for everything you purchased along with the install steps? I know they're sort of out there already, but it would be great to have a fresh one that I know is current. Good luck with the install!