Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You might want to wait until version 9 of Tesla’s car OS comes out. Elon Musk has hinted that the built in cameras will be available for use as a dashcam in the future, and I am hoping they will be available in version 9. Of course, it may not be included, or what is offered may be inferior to a traditional dashcam.

I installed the front camera ($20 cheap one, that I had on old car) for now. But, I am going to replace it with front/back camera with parking recording (Blackvue DR490-2CH) as requested by my boss (wife). I ordered one from BlackboxMyCar Canada | Dash Cam Experts | Car Camera | Dash Cam Store and they seem to have good price on refurbished version.

The wiring is not too difficult to do. There are several videos available on YouTube for the reference. It took me around 30 mins to do. The next one (front/back) will take a bit longer as I will need to wire to rear window. I'm planning to install the rear camera after getting my Model 3 serviced and window-tinted.

You might want to wait until version 9 of Tesla’s car OS comes out. Elon Musk has hinted that the built in cameras will be available for use as a dashcam in the future, and I am hoping they will be available in version 9. Of course, it may not be included, or what is offered may be inferior to a traditional dashcam.

This sounds like a great idea!

I installed the front camera ($20 cheap one, that I had on old car) for now. But, I am going to replace it with front/back camera with parking recording (Blackvue DR490-2CH) as requested by my boss (wife). I ordered one from BlackboxMyCar Canada | Dash Cam Experts | Car Camera | Dash Cam Store and they seem to have good price on refurbished version.

The wiring is not too difficult to do. There are several videos available on YouTube for the reference. It took me around 30 mins to do. The next one (front/back) will take a bit longer as I will need to wire to rear window. I'm planning to install the rear camera after getting my Model 3 serviced and window-tinted.

Very nice!