Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Thinkware Q800Pro taken off my last car which I want to fir to my M3 - where is the easiest access to fused power supply and where do I find get a description of what fuse does what?

(I know that car comes the cams but it doesn't come with speeding cam warnings, the Q800Pro does)

(Or where can I buy a device that detects when the car is coming up to a speeding camera?)

The most simple is just to use the auxiliary 12 V plug located under the central armrest.
The 12 V turn off automatically when the car goes to sleep.
However, if you turn on Sentry or Camp mode, you will be able to continue recording when the car is parked.

Sentry mode can be started or stopped remotely with your phone App,
wich can be pratical if occasionally you want to keep your dashcam running.

I installed an aftermarket dashcam on my '21 SR+ (mainly for redundancy and better video quality front camera). I had it powering from the 12V outlet at first, but the exposed cabling into the armrest compartment was bothering me.

So, I bought the stuff below to have it powered from the usb-c port inside the front storage compartment with the sliding lid:
USB-C to USB 2.0/3.0 Adapter
USB 2.0 to Mini USB (Dashcam Charging Cable)
Then followed this video (2:03 to 3:35) in routing the cable into the front storage compartment. Though unlike the video, I removed the A-Pillar trim on the passenger side to route the cable as I didn't want the cable to cross the airbags on the pillar.
Both 12V and USB-C ports behave the same way in terms of when the car turns them on/off (explained in the owner's manual).

As for the fuse box that is standard in most cars... there is none. Read more about it here.

Or where can I buy a device that detects when the car is coming up to a speeding camera?
I mounted a Garmin dashcam 55 as well for the metrics that are embedded in the footage (time, speed and geographical position) and also for the speed cameras alerts (included in the camera as well).
I'm using the 12V outlet in the central console with a stealth mounted cable that goes around the car w/o being seen at all.

Before that I successfully used this (on the same android phone where I installed SMT):