Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcams and Teslacam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just read this worrying snippet on the Caravasn Club website about foreign driving regulations

"In both Austria and Portugal it is illegal to own and to use a dash cam. Fines can be as much as €25,000 if you are caught using one. It is also illegal to use one in Luxembourg."

I think it's to do with speed camera detection, but new Tesla's have a very sophisticated camera recording system plus Sentry Mode. Does this mean that new Telsa's are illegal?!! o_O

the law in Portugal appears to be focused on the right to personal privacy and to not be recorded without your consent as a citizen.

it also talks about "dashboard mounted devices", I don't think any police check would insist you rip pieces off the factory build.

in theory you could be prosecuted by a Portuguese citizen if you ever shared footage of them in a digital channel of any sort - but it ain't gonna happen.

if you did have any sort of accident I wouldn't be shouting about having footage that shows you not at fault etc - save that for your insurance company back home.