Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcams

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone been successful in seeking re-reimbursement for damage(s) to their vehicles? Especially for smaller damage like door dings and such.

I am considering going 4-ch vs. 2-ch and would like to know if it'll be a waste of money/time with 4-ch if I wouldn't be able to use the footage for successful re-reimbursement.

Yes I have. Someone scratched my car pulling out of the parking spot next to me while I was parked. The back camera caught it. I went to the police and they found the person through the license plate. It was about $4500 damages. Makes the investment in a dash cam a no brainer.

I was also able to help someone else by providing them with the video of a hit and run that I caught.

Not sure a 4 camera system is necessary. Certainly doesn’t hurt of course. I really like blackvue and it’s features. But you can get a good quality 4K action camera for less than $40 that has loop recording like a dash cam.

Not sure a 4 camera system is necessary. Certainly doesn’t hurt of course. I really like blackvue and it’s features. But you can get a good quality 4K action camera for less than $40 that has loop recording like a dash cam.
I may get the blackvue 750 2ch x2 for now, then upgrade to their 4k when it comes out.

There are a lot of sh*tty drivers out there AND sh*tty people.

Using two 750S 2-ch as a 4-ch system, would you have to log into two separate wifi "accounts" or can it all be consolidated into one?
You used to be able to add a camera slot to your account for one payment of $9.99. But now blackvue has changed it so you have to pay an absurd $19.99/month to have more than 1 cam on the account. People who had it before are grandfathered in.

You used to be able to add a camera slot to your account for one payment of $9.99. But now blackvue has changed it so you have to pay an absurd $19.99/month to have more than 1 cam on the account. People who had it before are grandfathered in.

What if I don't use their cloud service and have my own mobile hotspot in the car? Can I just connect via wifi directly to the cameras?

Am I better off going with Thinkware instead?

Last edited:
What if I don't use their cloud service and have my own mobile hotspot in the car? Can I just connect via wifi directly to the cameras?

I’m not to familiar with thinkware. But in order to remotely access the blackvue cameras you need the mobile hotspot and their cloud service. Connecting directly to the cameras WiFi will only work if you’re near the car.

Yes I have. Someone scratched my car pulling out of the parking spot next to me while I was parked. The back camera caught it. I went to the police and they found the person through the license plate. It was about $4500 damages. Makes the investment in a dash cam a no brainer.

I was also able to help someone else by providing them with the video of a hit and run that I caught.

I'm the boy that didn't put his hand on the lit burner when mom said, 'its hot - don't touch it". In other words, I don't need to experience a bad thing personally to learn what to do or not do. David99's comment just confirms what I already thought and had done. I installed two Blackvue 2CH dashcams to provide 360 degree coverage. No, I have not needed any video from even one camera. Let's HOPE it stays that way. Anyone heard of Murphy? If you do it, you won't need it. - That's Murphy's Law at work. I think of one dashcam as insurance and two as simply more insurance. Call me foolish or wasteful, I don't care. I have the warm and fuzzy that I have done what I can. to protect myself and my S.

I played around with connecting the camera to the cloud with one of my two. Then I started asking myself, why? I was not parking in a place where the dashcam was going to make the difference if it was live versus recorded. I mean, you are currently without a dashcam and have no recording capacity and the solution is to jump in with both and up to your neck with 4 side coverage? Think twice and then a third time to be sure you need to a cloud connection back to your cameras. I didn't/don't. I do after all have the recordings.

I played around with connecting the camera to the cloud with one of my two. Then I started asking myself, why? I was not parking in a place where the dashcam was going to make the difference if it was live versus recorded. I mean, you are currently without a dashcam and have no recording capacity and the solution is to jump in with both and up to your neck with 4 side coverage? Think twice and then a third time to be sure you need to a cloud connection back to your cameras. I didn't/don't. I do after all have the recordings.
Cloud recording protects against theft of the dash cams themselves, memory cars and all.
Depending on where you mark that may be a possibility.

I don't really care for the cloud service, it's just nice to have. I guess the 'free' cloud service will suffice.

The main (and most popular) thing that annoys me are the people that will ding your car. I want to hold them liable for the damage they cause and get reimbursed.

I was sitting in a rental once and this lady decided to park her Porsche Cayenne right next to me, her spouse got out and 'DING', I gave him a glaring look, got out of the rental car and took a look. Luckily for them, there was no distinguishable mark but these are the kinds of idiots that will ding a car (and they are everywhere).

I even get nervous at the Tesla Charging Stations! You should see some of these guys when they're trying to back into the spot! For christ sake use autopark.

I will be uploading and posting videos, so you better work on your parking skills!

• Funny
Reactions: Shock-On-T
I went with the Thinkware F800 2ch fitted by Simon (http://www.tesla-additions.com) as although I was hoping for Tesla to enable the inbuilt potential capabilities I didn’t want to wait. Haven’t bothered with cloud services as it all records on the cameras sd card and although you have to connect them to your phone hotspot to then connect via the app i have no issue with this as would only bother to want to see data if I had an issue but that’s just my opinion and what I need.

If its that dangerous, maybe you should not park there. ?????
Nah it can happen pretty much anywhere. You can be visiting a friend, the doctor, doing some shopping, come back and the window's broken.
One solution is just have no camera, so that's less to steal. The cameras themselves are worth stealing, and are always exposed.

Nah it can happen pretty much anywhere. You can be visiting a friend, the doctor, doing some shopping, come back and the window's broken.
One solution is just have no camera, so that's less to steal. The cameras themselves are worth stealing, and are always exposed.
:eek: Sounds like there are plenty of sh*tty people in Australia!

Can anyone point me to the ideal location in the trunk to tap into a 12v source?

12v constant in rear trunk

Regarding this trunk wire. I plan to use this as the 12v source for my blackvue 2-ch rear camera (the 2nd camera will be mounted to the driver rear quarter - for side view [I planned this out so that when parked in my garage, this 2-ch set will face the garage door and the garage entrance ;)]). It will be a 4-ch system with the front cam wired to the headliner PC fan plug and 2nd cam on the pass rear quarter.

Or should I just power all the cameras and a radar detector with that one headliner plug?

From what I've read, the blackvue draws 1-2A, so I plan to use a inline 1A cylinder fuse or 2A mini blade fuse at all locations, with the front location utilizing a 1-3 splitter cable to also power a V1 radar detector (also fused).

Should I go 1A or 2A fuse?

Will my model S be happy? Would Nikola Tesla have been proud?

Last edited:
I once came back to my car. Next to me a mom just got her baby into the back seat. I saw her accidentally pushing her door onto my car. Luckily I was there and put my hand in between. She proceeded to play with her baby and her weight now started to push her door pretty hard onto my hand. This went on for 10 seconds until I said 'Hello?'. I kind of expected her to realize her mistake clearly seeing my hand and apologize. No, she was only annoyed with me that I interrupted her game. Mother......

I once came back to my car. Next to me a mom just got her baby into the back seat. I saw her accidentally pushing her door onto my car. Luckily I was there and put my hand in between. She proceeded to play with her baby and her weight now started to push her door pretty hard onto my hand. This went on for 10 seconds until I said 'Hello?'. I kind of expected her to realize her mistake clearly seeing my hand and apologize. No, she was only annoyed with me that I interrupted her game. Mother......

Was this caught on camera? I'd love to watch it.

My cameras are arriving tomorrow!