Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcams

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you think about these two new cellular internet enabled cameras / security systems?
I am not a fan of subscriptions. I just want 4 cameras with wifi, that can connect to a hotspot and livestream/cloud backup.

The only cellular enabled camera that I would be interested in is the Waylens 360. But again, not a fan of monthly subscriptions.

I am not a fan of subscriptions. I just want 4 cameras with wifi, that can connect to a hotspot and livestream/cloud backup.

The only cellular enabled camera that I would be interested in is the Waylens 360. But again, not a fan of monthly subscriptions.

I'm not a fan of monthly subscriptions either... but the Raven Basic subscription is only $8/month and includes 4G LTE for the Raven... which is less than the $10/month Verizon charges for connecting any device with ZERO additional data added to our data plan.

The fact these new devices include real time 4G LTE connections and notifications seem preferable to the BlackVue (and similar) dash cameras which AREN'T connected in real time.

BIG question is how is the video quality of the Raven, OwlCam and Waylens 360 ??? And will these companies still be in business in 2 years?

I'm not a fan of monthly subscriptions either... but the Raven Basic subscription is only $8/month and includes 4G LTE for the Raven... which is less than the $10/month Verizon charges for connecting any device with ZERO additional data added to our data plan.

The fact these new devices include real time 4G LTE connections and notifications seem preferable to the BlackVue (and similar) dash cameras which AREN'T connected in real time.

BIG question is how is the video quality of the Raven, OwlCam and Waylens 360 ??? And will these companies still be in business in 2 years?
If only there was a way to tap into the car's 4G LTE...

12v constant in rear trunk

Regarding this trunk wire. I plan to use this as the 12v source for my blackvue 2-ch rear camera (the 2nd camera will be mounted to the driver rear quarter - for side view [I planned this out so that when parked in my garage, this 2-ch set will face the garage door and the garage entrance ;)]). It will be a 4-ch system with the front cam wired to the headliner PC fan plug and 2nd cam on the pass rear quarter.

Or should I just power all the cameras and a radar detector with that one headliner plug?

From what I've read, the blackvue draws 1-2A, so I plan to use a inline 1A cylinder fuse or 2A mini blade fuse at all locations, with the front location utilizing a 1-3 splitter cable to also power a V1 radar detector (also fused).

Should I go 1A or 2A fuse?

Will my model S be happy? Would Nikola Tesla have been proud?

I used the liftgate controller power. However, I used larger gauge wire and setup a 4 fuse holder box that allows me to tap extra devices into the box. First I used it for the Lighted Rear Appilique then my rear mounted Blackvue.
http://tesla-lights.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Install-model-S-instructions.pdf
See page 17.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
I used the liftgate controller power. However, I used larger gauge wire and setup a 4 fuse holder box that allows me to tap extra devices into the box. First I used it for the Lighted Rear Appilique then my rear mounted Blackvue.
http://tesla-lights.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Install-model-S-instructions.pdf
See page 17.
I ended up just wiring them both to the front line for power. Made a custom splitter plug. Not a single cut, split, tap to the OEM harness = CLEAN :D

How difficult is it to remove the AP1 windshield housing? aka rearview mirror housing. I'd like to neatly run the wires thru it instead of shoving them thru the headliner.

Last edited:
I ended up just wiring them both to the front line for power. Made a custom splitter plug. Not a single cut, split, tap to the OEM harness = CLEAN :D

How difficult is it to remove the AP1 windshield housing? aka rearview mirror housing. I'd like to neatly run the wires thru it instead of shoving them thru the headliner.
There's a member here, David99 or David69, I think, that has made a replacement form fitting replacement mount for AP1 and another for AP2 cars to house the Blackvue camera. Makes it disappear - almost. It fits under the existing rear view mirror housing. David99, is it your product? Very very cool.

There's a member here, David99 or David69, I think, that has made a replacement form fitting replacement mount for AP1 and another for AP2 cars to house the Blackvue camera. Makes it disappear - almost. It fits under the existing rear view mirror housing. David99, is it your product? Very very cool.
There's a @David99 in this thread. I don't know about a David69 tho ;)

Well, I'm all done with the install. Will update with pictures tomorrow. It'll likely be a new thread.

Last edited:
Just IMHO, I wouldn't be waiting on the AP video feeds to be available for dashcam use for a long, long, time, if ever. They are not full color, hi-resolution cameras like dashcams have, they are red-fitered (I think) and optimized for fast video processing for AP. Yes, I know Elon tweeted that a dashcam feature would be coming soon, but he also said that about a new browser in 2013 and a touchscreen app SDK as well. Oh, and whatever happened to smartphone mirroring? Lather, Rinse, repeat.

Reactions: Akikiki
Just IMHO, I wouldn't be waiting on the AP video feeds to be available for dashcam use for a long, long, time, if ever. They are not full color, hi-resolution cameras like dashcams have, they are red-fitered (I think) and optimized for fast video processing for AP. Yes, I know Elon tweeted that a dashcam feature would be coming soon, but he also said that about a new browser in 2013 and a touchscreen app SDK as well. Oh, and whatever happened to smartphone mirroring? Lather, Rinse, repeat.
I agree.

I don't follow Elon on Twitter :p and yes the AP cams are not for security, they're for AP!

I'm more interested in gaining access the the 4G LTE in the car. What are your thoughts on that Hank? I think @wk057 would have more insight.

Oh and here's a little teaser for everyone...
IMG_6384.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: David99

"With the introduction of Autopilot, Tesla is using the internet connection to collect data for its autonomous driving neural net and high precision map building and therefore, the data plan could have become too useful for them to move the cost to customers."

I don't recall giving consent for that.

TSLA has too much control over the vehicles. Imagine owning an iPhone, with Apple having that much access/control over it.

Also, when he mentions giving a "360 deg surround view" that's in dev mode, I believe he is referring to the AP2 FSD cars.

Last edited:
I don't recall giving consent for that.

TSLA has too much control over the vehicles. Imagine owning an iPhone, with Apple having that much access/control over it.

Apple tracks everything you do on your phone. Down to how many times you tab on what setting and where. Apps do the same. They track everything. Every click, every menu, every feature you use. They know what store you go to, how long you stay there, what you buy (because you used Apple pay). Every website you visit, how long you stare at which content, ...
Every phone is massive personal information collector. They know your preference, who you visit and talk to, your political affiliation, ...

Apple tracks everything you do on your phone. Down to how many times you tab on what setting and where. Apps do the same. They track everything. Every click, every menu, every feature you use. They know what store you go to, how long you stay there, what you buy (because you used Apple pay). Every website you visit, how long you stare at which content, ...
Every phone is massive personal information collector. They know your preference, who you visit and talk to, your political affiliation, ...
yeah but at least I can use the iPhone as a mobile hotspot.

Looks great!

I keep going back and forth between the Blackvue and Thinkware.
Thanks!

Same here but I didn't care for the ADAS in the camera, so the extra cost of the thinkware 800pro didn't make sense for me and I went with the blkvue.

Here are some screenshots I took with my iPhone, the image quality isn't great cuz live-view and compression, but it will give you an idea of what the side camera angles look like with the way I've mounted them.
IMG_9298.PNG IMG_9300.PNG

I just noticed I added the same pic of the driver side cam 2x instead of the passenger side cam.
IMG_9294.JPG

Last edited: