Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashes displayed instead of charge and range....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Car wouldn't go into drive and SOC on dash displayed dashes. No errors displayed on MCU or dash. Pulled out TM-SPY showing 50% and 7mv max diff between modules. Total kwh capacity 71.7 kwh.

So battery looked good but car wasn't seeing it. I did a manual power off and came back to the car 10 minutes later after dropping my daughter off in the Prius.

I was a little giddy because I figured I'm finally going to get a new battery after. I'm on the original Ludicrous upgraded 81kwh battery.

Got back to the car. Opened door. Nothing would turn on. No instrument cluster. No MCU. At this point did a reset.

Everything came back up including main battery, so now drivable.

What the heck happened? Software glitch? Canbus was showing every ok and no errors in UI. never had anything like this happen before in 130K miles and 6.5 years.

Just guessing because it could be many issues, but wouldn't you see the same symptoms if the 12 V battery was failing, or had insufficient voltage?

Maybe but the 12v battery is fully charged and standby voltage is good and the contactors aren't opening any more frequently to top off the battery. Plus the car knows when the battery is going bad and displays a replace battery soon message long before it becomes a real problem.

Car wouldn't go into drive and SOC on dash displayed dashes. No errors displayed on MCU or dash. Pulled out TM-SPY showing 50% and 7mv max diff between modules. Total kwh capacity 71.7 kwh.

So battery looked good but car wasn't seeing it. I did a manual power off and came back to the car 10 minutes later after dropping my daughter off in the Prius.

I was a little giddy because I figured I'm finally going to get a new battery after. I'm on the original Ludicrous upgraded 81kwh battery.

Got back to the car. Opened door. Nothing would turn on. No instrument cluster. No MCU. At this point did a reset.

Everything came back up including main battery, so now drivable.

What the heck happened? Software glitch? Canbus was showing every ok and no errors in UI. never had anything like this happen before in 130K miles and 6.5 years.
My guess is software glitch since the reset brought everything right back to normal. But if it keeps happening, then it's a different story.