Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Data after Supercharging Exclusively for 10,345 miles in 3 months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's close enough to the Prius that they are the same. I was looking at buying either a Mercedes E450 Coupe or a Porsche Macan, both of which take Premium and get poor gas mileage. The Tesla is much more efficient than any comparable luxury car or SUV.
The E450 gets 31 mpg highway.. at $4.65 that is basically equivalent to supercharging at $14.15 and 100 mpge ... who's ready to join me in the SC price picket / boycott??

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
The E450 gets 31 mpg highway.. at $4.65 that is basically equivalent to supercharging at $14.15 and 100 mpge ... who's ready to join me in the SC price picket / boycott??
The E450 does not get 31 mpg it theoretically gets 22 mpg city and 29 mpg highway. I was looking at some certified ones to get an idea of the gas mileage. I looked at a few, and they were getting 22 mpg. Premium is closer to $6 over here.

The Supercharger prices increased. I went from $102.61 to $128.48 for the same week's worth of driving, a 25.21% increase. There is only one Supercharger on LI that has off-peak prices also. (We go between NY and PA).

I was going to trade in this MYP today, but I'm going to keep it for another month, until 14k miles. So, we will have data on a Supercharged only MYP for that many miles at least. I have had NO issues at all with the car, FYI. That's another reason I want to keep this specific one. We will be going to WV and OH, so I would rather have one of these that has been okay.

Last edited:
Reactions: byeLT4 and Dennisis
Lots of people are curious about battery degradation and Supercharging. Here is some data. I have had a MYP for three months. I have 10,345 miles, all Supercharged. The car started with 303 miles. It now has 288 miles, a 5%/15 mile loss.

My overall useage is at 289 Wh/m

The total Supercharging cost has been $1,220.33 or $0.118 per mile.

Our other daily is a Prius Prime. Without plugging it in, I get about 56 mpg, upwards of 70mpg when I drive home from work in traffic. At 56 mph at $4.79 a gallon, that's $0.103 per mile.

Supercharging rates were lower when I first got the car. They increased to $0.46kWh in NY. In PA, where I also charge, the rates have been as low as $0.30 kWh.
I too have a Tesla and a five year old Prius; Here in California the kWh rates also continue to rise.
I visit my Daughter & Grandkids in Chandler AZ frequently and I rather drive the Prius; Worry free, no stops if I choose so, drive at any speed without being concern, there are no SC anywhere other than Scottsdale 😲🤦🏻‍♂️ Nothing in Tempe, Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, Queen Creek 😡

Nothing in Tempe, Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, Queen Creek
No superchargers yes.. but Arizona Mills has two DCFC installations so with an adapter you can use Chad or CSS.. which is what I do. I dont live on SC.. I use what I can find at times.. and at times I pick what is cheapest. Just depends. Ive cut wayyyy back on my SC usage in the past 6 months. When I'm paying .31 cents for a charge vs .58 cents at the SC.. and they are just a few miles apart.. no brainer :)

The rest of your locations.. dont know .. have not been there :)

Reactions: Msicario
When you convert the energy price without regard to any vehicles it is well over $10/gallon.. it's bullshit

Example: Laramie, WY = $.42/kwh * 33.7kwh/gallon = $14.15 / gallon of gas equivalent

I could buy a 100kw gas generator and stick it at a gas station.. charge $.337 cents ($10/gal equiv) and make a killing on just burning gas for EV's... something is wrong with the supercharger rates

When figuring out the gas price equivalent, you should only use the amount of energy in the gas that is used for propulsion. The waste heat shouldn’t be factored in.

The best gas engines are only 40% thermal efficiency (Prius) and the average is probably closer to 30% efficient.

$14.15 * .3 = $4.25
$14.15 * .4 = $5.66

The best approach would be to calculate cost per mile driven instead of fuel price equivalent.

$5 per gallon at 30 miles per gallon = 16.7¢ per mile

$6 per gallon at 25 miles per gallon = 24¢ per mile

$0.42 per kWh at 3.5 miles per kWh = 12¢ per mile

$0.58 per kWh at 3 miles per kWh = 19.3¢ per mile

Last edited:
When figuring out the gas price equivalent, you should only use the amount of energy in the gas that is used for propulsion. The waste heat shouldn’t be factored in.

The best gas engines are only 40% thermal efficiency (Prius) and the average is probably closer to 30% efficient.

$14.15 * .3 = $4.25
$14.15 * .4 = $5.66

The best approach would be to calculate cost per mile driven instead of fuel price equivalent.

This is exactly the point.. even a 30mpg car is less per mile than a Tesla in some pretty practical scenarios.. which is ridiculous imo

• Funny
This is exactly the point.. even a 30mpg car is less per mile than a Tesla in some pretty practical scenarios.. which is ridiculous imo
Maybe if you’re comparing a 30 mile per gallon car to a Model X at the highest supercharger prices, but that seems like a disingenuous comparison, because which 30 MPG vehicles compare with a Model X?

Source?

… if it causes battery failure within the warranty period, I’ll take it, free new battery, please!! 🤑
My girlfriend just had this happen to her 2019 M3 (all supercharging the last 3years, 25k miles). She had a battery warning pop-up, and scheduled the Tesla service in the app. They came to our house 2 days later (car would not allow us to drive it, so that part was annoying), but they swapped the battery in 15 mins, fully covered under warranty, and she had a fresh battery with no degradation.

• Funny
My girlfriend just had this happen to her 2019 M3 (all supercharging the last 3years, 25k miles). She had a battery warning pop-up, and scheduled the Tesla service in the app. They came to our house 2 days later (car would not allow us to drive it, so that part was annoying), but they swapped the battery in 15 mins, fully covered under warranty, and she had a fresh battery with no degradation.
I think you’re referring to the 12 volt battery. Or Tesla has quite a pit crew working these… 😉

$14.15 * .3 = $4.25
$14.15 * .4 = $5.66

Yeah this is the best way to compare gas vs electric; actual cost to drive 100 miles.

Electric is way cheaper at my house in Texas where I pay 11 cents per KWh. But some of the markups on fast chargers is crazy! What is 58cents noted above; over 500%?

Eventually we need to get a manufacturer of fast chargers that are much more affordable; like under $5k. They don't have to be 350kwh or anything; just faster than level2. Then we could see private businesses and smaller land owners start to buy them.

I can only sell solar electricity from my roof for about 5 cents per KWh. There could be a natural market mechanics that gives both drivers much more affordable charging options and land owners an easy source of income.

Reactions: gt2690b
It was $0.35 kWh when I charged earlier. Our electric is $0.11 kWh at home (the rate increased 50% this year, but I locked in that rate for another year.)

Attachments

• 20220712_145347.jpg
    20220712_145347.jpg
    476.4 KB · Views: 71

$14.15 * .3 = $4.25
$14.15 * .4 = $5.66

That’s a small difference in price to pay in exchange for the freedom to drive at any speed without having to be controlled by (must make) multiple stops..
What’s really frustrating is when driving on a long stretch highway and get challenge by ICE performance cars and you just ignore them because you must keep it under 75-80 to get to the next schedule SC station 😬🤦🏻‍♂️🤣😂

What’s really frustrating is when driving on a long stretch highway and get challenge by ICE performance cars and you just ignore them because you must keep it under 75-80 to get to the next schedule SC station
That says a lot about your personality and psychology that you feel you are being "challenged" by how other drivers drive when you are traveling on the highway.

That’s a small difference in price to pay in exchange for the freedom to drive at any speed without having to be controlled by (must make) multiple stops..
What’s really frustrating is when driving on a long stretch highway and get challenge by ICE performance cars and you just ignore them because you must keep it under 75-80 to get to the next schedule SC station 😬🤦🏻‍♂️🤣😂
thats what autopilot is for.. just act like you're asleep hah

That says a lot about your personality and psychology that you feel you are being "challenged" by how other drivers drive when you are traveling on the highway.
LOL 🤣😂 Yup, I purchased the MYP because it’s fast, quarter mile and high speed; Retired from the High Performance Auto Business, love Hot Rods and top end speed; Thats been part of my life since I got my license 😃👍🏻 I don’t back down from anyone on the street🤣😂 except 👮‍♀️ 🚔 🤣😂

Reactions: boulder.dude