Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Data after Supercharging Exclusively for 10,345 miles in 3 months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Naw.. thats self preservation ;). I grew up with street rods, track cars and the like.. and after my teen years, I dont need any more "friends" in blue and I'm sure I would acquire them with a Plaid.. My single motor M3 does just fine :D
Completely understand šŸ‘šŸ» But I wouldnā€™t mind driving a Plaid for a week or two šŸ˜ƒ Oh what a rush šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚Itā€™s in my blood..

I bet that most Tesla MYP, M3P, X, S, Plaid buyers, main reason is HP, Speed, 3.5, 0-60 and under. šŸ¤”

Reactions: Physicslawyer
Definitely donā€™t use percent until you want to remain willfully ignorant
On the contrary, using a percent is more helpful -- relying on number of miles (or km) is the ignorant choice, IMO, since it cannot take into account your current and future situation. Today's weather, road conditions, elevation, etc is what's important, not the average conditions of the past. Using the number of miles (km) is only helpful if you're driving in the same conditions as the past, like a regular commute to work -- but if you're taking it somewhere new or on a road trip, knowing how much battery power, not how much distance, is important. The number of miles (km) is what will get you in trouble.

On the contrary, using a percent is more helpful -- relying on number of miles (or km) is the ignorant choice, IMO, since it cannot take into account your current and future situation. Today's weather, road conditions, elevation, etc is what's important, not the average conditions of the past. Using the number of miles (km) is only helpful if you're driving in the same conditions as the past, like a regular commute to work -- but if you're taking it somewhere new or on a road trip, knowing how much battery power, not how much distance, is important. The number of miles (km) is what will get you in trouble.
Thatā€™s not what I said. Of course it doesnā€™t taking any of those factors into consideration. No one ever claimed it did. All I am saying is that using percentage throws away information that is present in rated miles. If you donā€™t understand why this is so please donā€™t respond and waste my time.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Thatā€™s not what I said. Of course it doesnā€™t taking any of those factors into consideration. No one ever claimed it did. All I am saying is that using percentage throws away information that is present in rated miles. If you donā€™t understand why this is so please donā€™t respond and waste my time.
I liked his post. This is a public forum, anyone can post as they wish. If you don't want to waste time maybe you shouldn't be on this website.

Reactions: Dennisis
My girlfriend just had this happen to her 2019 M3 (all supercharging the last 3years, 25k miles). She had a battery warning pop-up, and scheduled the Tesla service in the app. They came to our house 2 days later (car would not allow us to drive it, so that part was annoying), but they swapped the battery in 15 mins, fully covered under warranty, and she had a fresh battery with no degradation.
Clarify this to 12v

On the contrary, using a percent is more helpful
It kind of depends on the situation of how one is using it. But it is objectively true that % is simply less information than the rated miles number is, as @GlmnAlyAirCar pointed out.
relying on number of miles (or km) is the ignorant choice, IMO,
Ah. What do you mean by "relying on"? I think I'm picking up on the idea that you think other people are looking at a number on the display like 136 rated miles and blindly thinking they will always be able to go exactly 136 real distance miles. That would be ridiculous and unwise, and I wouldn't recommend anyone do that either, if that's what you mean by "relying on".
since it cannot take into account your current and future situation.
Neither does the % display.
Today's weather, road conditions, elevation, etc is what's important, not the average conditions of the past.
Ahhhh. I see what's going on here. You think Tesla uses a Guess-O-Meter (TM), like almost all of the other car makers do for their electric cars, where that number is an adjusted averaged number based on past driving behavior and driving history. It's not. Tesla doesn't do that. That number is calculated from the car's best measurement of the actual kWh of energy in the pack and then scaled by a fixed constant related to the EPA efficiency value for that model. It's not using any "average conditions of the past".
Using the number of miles (km) is only helpful if you're driving in the same conditions as the past, like a regular commute to work
Well, no, that's not the only way it's helpful. It's helpful for intuitive human eyeballing things quickly. Humans think of how far away things are in distances, not percentages. I know my friend in Twin Falls is about 125 miles away. If I look on the display and see only 127 rated miles, I know that's not going to cut it to drive 125. But if I see over 200, then yeah, that's easy to do 125 real miles. A % number would take other calculations to try to convert it to figure out.
but if you're taking it somewhere new or on a road trip, knowing how much battery power, not how much distance, is important.
Either one can work fine. As the displays of the Trips app and the Nav screen are now, they display the arrival amount only in %, so that's fine to use it that way.
The number of miles (km) is what will get you in trouble.
You used the word "will", as if that's a given absolute fact. It's not. I've had my Model S for over 8 years now, and guess what? Back then, there was no "Trips" tab on the Energy app, and there was no % projection at arrival of your destination. We used rated miles larger than the distance miles to go to have a buffer and drove and kept an eye on it. It was fine.

I've seen plenty of reports on this forum with people getting themselves in trouble running out of energy while they were relying on % too, so it's not unique to either one.

% does have deficiencies of information. It's simply a fullness measurement. So if the battery really isn't holding as much energy as it's supposed to, it will still happily show 100% when it's holding as much as it can, even if that is a pitifully low amount. And what is 1%? 1% of a 60 kWh battery or a 100 kWh battery are very different amounts of energy. But rated miles scales the amount of energy to a reasonably consistent thing across vehicle models.

So it's fine--it's a personality preference. Some people are very stressed and bothered if they consistently see that a rated mile is not corresponding to a distance mile 1:1. And if that bothers them, then switching to % to be peaceful is a good choice.

That's what a % reading is, if you can manage a little mathematics
It isn't, though. As the battery capacity degrades over time, each % represents a smaller amount of energy. Rated miles, on the other hand, decreases as the battery degrades, and always represents the same amount of energy per unit.

Crude math for illustrative purposes: each rated mile on a Model 3 represents 0.25 kWh. Each rated mile on a Model X represents 0.33 kWh. On a Cybertruck, a rated mile will probably be 0.5 kWh. This will be different for each vehicle configuration, since rated miles are calculated using EPA rated efficiency.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
OP sounds like he is on top of things and knows exactly what he is doing.

His numbers make sense and if he didnā€™t SC heā€™d probably have similar degradation. And if he is SC 100% he isnā€™t plugging in every night which is what can through calibration off. Itā€™s also a lot of miles in 3 months. So I suspect his calibration is fine.

I think his numbers basically say very little impact and not outside the norm.
I am looking to purchase a used Tesla from private party that has free super charging. There is a super charging station right next to my office. My thought is I can super charge daily or as needed while at work.

Is daily super charging bad for the car, even if charged to say 70-80%? Should I then not charge at home at night at all since it will throw calibration off ?

I am looking to purchase a used Tesla from private party that has free super charging. There is a super charging station right next to my office. My thought is I can super charge daily or as needed while at work.

Is daily super charging bad for the car, even if charged to say 70-80%? Should I then not charge at home at night at all since it will throw calibration off ?

Do what works best for you. It really wonā€™t amount to a significant difference.

• Love
Reactions: buckets0fun

Just remember, it isn't like a slow charger that you can park your car at all day, you will need to charge it and then immediately unplug and move the car when it completes charging.

Keith

So, I thought the real danger with Supercharging all the time is the large amount of current, which results in an increased amount of heat in the battery versus Level 1 or 2 charging. And, the enemy of Lithium-Ion batteries is heat, correct? I mean, my Owner's Manual explicitly states that Supercharging all the time is bad for battery health. You don't think the engineers are being accurate/honest?

So, I thought the real danger with Supercharging all the time is the large amount of current, which results in an increased amount of heat in the battery versus Level 1 or 2 charging. And, the enemy of Lithium-Ion batteries is heat, correct? I mean, my Owner's Manual explicitly states that Supercharging all the time is bad for battery health. You don't think the engineers are being accurate/honest?
The Tesla Model Y will monitor the state of charge of the battery, battery temperature and continuously adjusts the charging voltage and charging amperage throughout the Supercharger charging session. The Tesla Model Y will warm or cool the battery as required.

When the maximum charge rate exceed 1C (where C is the capacity of the battery, i.e. 79 kWh) and the charge rate is greater than 79kW per hour this level of high current (amperage) and power (volts X amperage) can stress the battery.

In a typical Supercharger charging session the maximum charge rate is achieved just after the beginning of the charging session and starts to taper down starting at 40%, continues to taper off when the battery state of charge reaches 60%. By 80% the charge rate has decreased to where it usually makes sense, is better use of your time to unplug and continue your trip stopping again if needed at another Supercharger station further along your route; only charging to ~80%.

The super charger I will be using is in a parking garage at 72kw. Another user mentioned that should be fine for daily super charging. My plan is to charge during lunch break for 30-45 mins and then move the car
No home charging option? You have a plan that will work, but kind of makes owning an EV more difficult than a gas car. Even if it's free, a few months down the road it might get old. Not having to take time out of your day to put your car in a specific place to be "fueled" is a huge perk of EV ownership.

No home charging option? You have a plan that will work, but kind of makes owning an EV more difficult than a gas car. Even if it's free, a few months down the road it might get old. Not having to take time out of your day to put your car in a specific place to be "fueled" is a huge perk of EV ownership.
yes i can charge at home as well and figured if its free why not... probably wont be doing it daily every 2-3 days or so. the chargers are always empty everytime ive gone so i am thinking i will have my work pay for me to park there and see if i can just park it there all day (will check with garage ppl) since it doesnt seem to be used much