Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Data after Supercharging Exclusively for 10,345 miles in 3 months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of people are curious about battery degradation and Supercharging. Here is some data. I have had a MYP for three months. I have 10,345 miles, all Supercharged. The car started with 303 miles. It now has 288 miles, a 5%/15 mile loss.

My overall useage is at 289 Wh/m

The total Supercharging cost has been $1,220.33 or $0.118 per mile.

Our other daily is a Prius Prime. Without plugging it in, I get about 56 mpg, upwards of 70mpg when I drive home from work in traffic. At 56 mph at $4.79 a gallon, that's $0.103 per mile.

Supercharging rates were lower when I first got the car. They increased to $0.46kWh in NY. In PA, where I also charge, the rates have been as low as $0.30 kWh.

Last edited:
Stupid question, but when you say yours now has 288 miles, you are referring to the miles listed at the top of the screen right?

Ive supercharged once and have 2900 miles. It shows 327 miles but I fully expect that to continue to fall. I leave it on percent anyway.

288 miles at 100% charge, from the original 303 (MYP)
Keep in mind this is based on what the BMS is able to determine based on charging habits, usage, etc... This number is likely to increase and decrease over time. This will slowly drive you mad - I always recommend switching to Percent vs miles and leaving it there, much easier to live with...

Keep in mind this is based on what the BMS is able to determine based on charging habits, usage, etc... This number is likely to increase and decrease over time. This will slowly drive you mad - I always recommend switching to Percent vs miles and leaving it there, much easier to live with...
Definitely don’t use percent until you want to remain willfully ignorant (which is ok if it relieves stress). Rated miles is directly proportional to usable energy. Percentage is directly proportional to 1.

Definitely don’t use percent until you want to remain willfully ignorant (which is ok if it relieves stress). Rated miles is directly proportional to usable energy. Percentage is directly proportional to 1.
From all I’ve read it seems those who stress over every range change end up the same place as those who don’t so yes, I recommend the lower stress option thanks… 😉

I stopped doing the "charge to different levels and let the car sleep" routine that keeps the BMS calibrated... I got lazy and set up departure time charging and left the charge limit at 80% for a couple months... the BMS of course got confused and my rated range plunged from 286.4 down to 268.7 over night. Did my battery suddenly degrade almost 20 miles of range over night? Of course not! Since then I went back to the "muscle confusion" charging routine and the BMS has started to re-calibrate, it is back up to 279.0 and still rising. This is with 25,008 miles in just a hair over 1 year of ownership.

What I am pointing out is that the rated miles correlating to battery capacity is predicated on the BMS being accurate... for the vast majority of Tesla 3 and Tesla Y owners, the BMS reported capacity is NOT accurate.

This is why I have my battery display set to percentage. If I want to reassure my wife that we have plenty of range I flip it over to miles since it is wildly optimistic compared to reality even when it plummeted down to 268.

Keith

Lots of people are curious about battery degradation and Supercharging. Here is some data. I have had a MYP for three months. I have 10,345 miles, all Supercharged. The car started with 303 miles. It now has 288 miles, a 5%/15 mile loss.

Our other daily is a Prius Prime. Without plugging it in, I get about 56 mpg, upwards of 70mpg when I drive home from work in traffic. At 56 mph at $4.79 a gallon, that's $0.103 per mile.

Supercharging rates were lower when I first got the car. They increased to $0.46kWh in NY. In PA, where I also charge, the rates have been as low as $0.30 kWh.
Thanks for sharing! From what I've seen/heard, apparently frequent supercharging is not only a battery degradation issue (which may be a non-issue), but it can lead to early battery failure and replacement before extreme degradation

This is why I don't want to buy a used Tesla.

OP sounds like he is on top of things and knows exactly what he is doing.

His numbers make sense and if he didn’t SC he’d probably have similar degradation. And if he is SC 100% he isn’t plugging in every night which is what can through calibration off. It’s also a lot of miles in 3 months. So I suspect his calibration is fine.

I think his numbers basically say very little impact and not outside the norm.

His numbers make sense and if he didn’t SC he’d probably have similar degradation. And if he is SC 100% he isn’t plugging in every night which is what can through calibration off. It’s also a lot of miles in 3 months. So I suspect his calibration is fine.

She. :)

I'm sure that's true and I wasn't contesting that. People are free to choose miles vs percent. As this is a public forum I simply offered the opinion that range miles displayed can vary fairly widely depending on how you charge and that displaying percent is, IMO, a better option. Feel free to disagree.