Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Data analysis from recent road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just got back from a recent trip to visit our grandkids in southern MD and on one leg of our trip I drove the longest Non-Stop distance ever in our LR AWD Y. I charged up in Lexington Va SCer and drove non-stop to our hotel in Barboursville WVA. Results:

bi3ilv5.jpg

Previously the longest non-stop leg has been 199.3 miles between Mt Vernon IL and Louisville Ky.

I'm told the 2020 LR AWD has a 75 kWh battery with about 72 kWh available when NEW. Given those numbers and what my car reported on that leg, what can we deduce about the health of my battery and the highway efficiency of my Y? Given that I drove 222.9 miles on 54 kWh and the display says I can could go another 54 miles, is that saying had I kept going at the same efficiency I could have driven over 270 miles?

Any analysis of my numbers is appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: mark95476
Not enough information, what SOC did you charge up to at that last charging stop?

If you charged up to 100% at that last stop, and since you had 16% left after using 54 kWh, that indicates that you have around 64 kWh total available at this point in your batteries life... that would mean you have 11% battery degradation. Also, that 54 miles range remaining is based on 200 wh/mile... your average for that leg of the trip was 240 wh/mile.

So, if you DID charge up to 100% at that last supercharger, your remaining range based on 240 wh/mile would be around 41 miles, giving you a total range from full to empty of 263 miles. This is not including the bottom battery buffer.

Keith

PS: If you DIDN'T charge to full at that last stop, I can re-do the calculation based on how far you charged the battery at that last SuperCharger if you give us the information.

Not enough information, what SOC did you charge up to at that last charging stop?

If you charged up to 100% at that last stop, and since you had 16% left after using 54 kWh, that indicates that you have around 64 kWh total available at this point in your batteries life... that would mean you have 11% battery degradation. Also, that 54 miles range remaining is based on 200 wh/mile... your average for that leg of the trip was 240 wh/mile.

So, if you DID charge up to 100% at that last supercharger, your remaining range based on 240 wh/mile would be around 41 miles, giving you a total range from full to empty of 263 miles. This is not including the bottom battery buffer.

Keith

PS: If you DIDN'T charge to full at that last stop, I can re-do the calculation based on how far you charged the battery at that last SuperCharger if you give us the information.
Rat's I know we didn't charge to 100% in Lexington Va, as I recall it was around 97%, we came in from the Glen Allen SCer in MD and our initial plan was to charge at the Charleston WV SCer just east of Barboursville, but as was sat and did come alternate scenarios we saw we could get to the hotel in Barboursville WV and still have enough range to get to the SCer in Hunnington WV if the Destination Chargers at the hotel weren't available, so we extended our charging session to cover all that but not to 100%. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
Rat's I know we didn't charge to 100% in Lexington Va, as I recall it was around 97%, we came in from the Glen Allen SCer in MD and our initial plan was to charge at the Charleston WV SCer just east of Barboursville, but as was sat and did come alternate scenarios we saw we could get to the hotel in Barboursville WV and still have enough range to get to the SCer in Hunnington WV if the Destination Chargers at the hotel weren't available, so we extended our charging session to cover all that but not to 100%. Hope that makes sense.

It makes sense but it makes "exact" calculations impossible unless you know exactly what you charged to at that last stop. Assuming it was 97% that would mean your current battery capacity is almost 67 kWh not 64 kWh, making your battery degradation 7% instead of 11%. Your full to empty range in that case would be around 271 miles. None of this is accurate since we don't have an accurate starting point.

Keith

Wifey recalls I said we were at 97% when I said let's go. So that's the number we departed with.

In that case, the numbers I gave are a good approximation of your battery degradation (7%), and full to empty range (271 miles). Keep in mind, that range is based on you getting the same efficiency on your next road trip that you got on this last one :)

Keith

Reactions: DarthStar