Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Data Charges

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Runt8

May 19, 2017
Colorado
The Model S and X both have built in cell network access (for updates, maps, traffic conditions, etc), for which the owner isn't charged to use. Has this been mentioned in conjunction with the Model 3? I can see Tesla providing free data for life when it comes attached to a $70k+ car, but it's harder to picture that with a $35k one.

I'll tell you as a consumer I pay for my Wifi and Data plan for my phone... I don't want a third data plan. If all else fails, I'll share the connection with my phone.

Honestly I'd like to see cars of the future embedded with satellite antennas enabling them to connect to the future SpaceX cluster...

Reactions: Runt8
S and X come with 4 years of free data, after that it's supposed to switch to a charging scheme.

There's been no detail on the 3, but I'd count on at least 2 years, maybe the same 4. The reason is simple: Tesla needs to collect the Autopilot usage data to continually improve the system.

Reactions: voltage
S and X come with 4 years of free data, after that it's supposed to switch to a charging scheme.

There's been no detail on the 3, but I'd count on at least 2 years, maybe the same 4. The reason is simple: Tesla needs to collect the Autopilot usage data to continually improve the system.
I didn't realize they would have to pay for it after 4 years, thanks!

I agree with @JeffK, there's no way I'll be paying for a second connection just for my car...

I didn't realize they would have to pay for it after 4 years, thanks!

Actually, this is not true -- just yet. The 2012s, and 2013s that are over 4 years old, are still getting free data. That will stop at some time, and Tesla does only promise it for 4 years, but so far they have not cut it off, as far as I am aware.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

In theory... but my P85 was over 4 years and I still had data.

Probably it's a question of time and effort required to implement billing system and the lockout for people who aren't paying, plus the fact that they want all that data...

Actually, this is not true -- just yet. The 2012s, and 2013s that are over 4 years old, are still getting free data. That will stop at some time, and Tesla does only promise it for 4 years, but so far they have not cut it off, as far as I am aware.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Somewhere in the middle of 2014, Tesla announced that it would be included for four years - and for four years from the date of announcement for all prior cars - and that they would provide details for the future prior to the end of those four years.

Elon is on record as saying he'd like to make it free for all the cars forever, but he's not sure the business case could close. So we'll find out sometime next year...

I think it's a safe assumption that Tesla will include at least a couple years of data for the 3 as well - possibly the same four years we've been promised. They might even make it free for everyone forever if Elon gets his way.

Edit: Not finding a Tesla Press Release directly, but there's this thread which claims it was part of the 4Q 2013 Earnings report, with the four years for older cars starting on January 1st, 2014. So I guess we should start hearing updates this fall.

Last edited:
Somewhere in the middle of 2014, Tesla announced that it would be included for four years - and for four years from the date of announcement for all prior cars - and that they would provide details for the future prior to the end of those four years.

Right you are! So no one is going to get their data cut off until mid 2018 at the earliest.

In theory... but my P85 was over 4 years and I still had data.

Probably it's a question of time and effort required to implement billing system and the lockout for people who aren't paying, plus the fact that they want all that data...

Even if they cut the data for the driver, doesn't mean they can't still pull all that data. The radio modem is still there.

I am sure AT&T would allow free autopilot data and updates in exchange for Tesla providing 500,000+ potential new customers a year. If in 4 years before the SpaceX network is running they have 2 million cars @$20/month AT@T would be making half a billion dollars off Tesla per year.