TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Data connectivity for trips into the USA

Discussion in 'Canada' started by FrozenCanuck, Aug 15, 2014.

1. FrozenCanuck

FrozenCanuck Member

Hey gang,

Can anyone tell me if the Model S data package is still working for Canucks who drive into the US? Last time I researched this was several months ago, before taking delivery of my car. It seemed that data was actually working, but for our American friends who headed north, their data stopped after they crossed the border.

I'm planning a road trip to the states as soon as the supercharger network allows it, and I want to be sure I have certainty that data works, otherwise it might be sensible to get a US sim card + data plan + hotspot.

2. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

Still working as of three weeks ago.

Until the browser's IP address changes from one in Florida to one in Canada, I am not too worried about USA access going away.

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Canadian cars have always worked in the USA, and AFAIK continue to do so. Essentially Canadian cars have American data plans that are roaming in Canada.

American cars do not work in Canada; however, there are reports that recently-built American cars work in Canada.

4. galangg

galangg Member

Can anyone confirm that recently built cars are working when they roam to Canada?

5. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

Should probably pose this question in the main (US) thread....mostly Canadians looking in the CDN sub-forum

6. FrozenCanuck

FrozenCanuck Member

Thanks for the helpful replies, everyone!