Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Data Gurus...Any ideas why battery charge not changing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
7.4kW System w/ 2 PW's

I've been up and running for a couple of months now and have been getting data from the API every 5 minutes. I export this data via Raspberry Pi to InfluxDb/Grafana locally and PVOutput for data analysis. I am running the PW's in Self-Powered with a reserve. I have recently noticed a sharp knee in the PW charge % as the solar day ends and the batteries take over. I have attached a screenshot of the data from Excel showing the battery flow, home load and charge % as an example.
It appears that there seems to be a lag in PW charge reporting about the time they take over the house load. Wondering if anyone sees this or might have an idea what is actually happening.

Cheers

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 8.21.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 8.21.45 AM.png
    105.3 KB · Views: 85
I suspect what you are seeing here is that 100% is not the actual capacity of the PWs, but a nominal capacity based on some calculations from Tesla. Because you are in self-powered mode, I believe the PWs do fully charge, and are likely exceeding 100% of nominal. However, it appears the API may be designed to not report values over 100%. So, my guess is what you are seeing is due to that and not to a delay in the SOC number reporting. However, you could look at what happens at sunrise to see if there is a delay there.

I am also aware Tesla does report the current capacity of the PWs, but only on the remote API. You could potentially check that to see what it is reporting - perhaps it is low or takes some time to settle in.

Looking back at the data I have over about 7 months, I only logged numbers of 100% in September (and, though the percentage normally falls slightly over time in backup-only before re-charging every day or two, it was pegged at exactly 100 for a few days.) This supports the idea that 100% SOC is a nominal amount and that the API does not report values in excess of 100%. I have not seen it since - I do not know if that indicates degradation in the batteries (since I have not been logging data from the remote API,) adjustments in the calculation from Tesla, or a change with a software release (or something else.)

I suspect what you are seeing here is that 100% is not the actual capacity of the PWs, but a nominal capacity based on some calculations from Tesla. Because you are in self-powered mode, I believe the PWs do fully charge, and are likely exceeding 100% of nominal. However, it appears the API may be designed to not report values over 100%. So, my guess is what you are seeing is due to that and not to a delay in the SOC number reporting. However, you could look at what happens at sunrise to see if there is a delay there.

I am also aware Tesla does report the current capacity of the PWs, but only on the remote API. You could potentially check that to see what it is reporting - perhaps it is low or takes some time to settle in.

Looking back at the data I have over about 7 months, I only logged numbers of 100% in September (and, though the percentage normally falls slightly over time in backup-only before re-charging every day or two, it was pegged at exactly 100 for a few days.) This supports the idea that 100% SOC is a nominal amount and that the API does not report values in excess of 100%. I have not seen it since - I do not know if that indicates degradation in the batteries (since I have not been logging data from the remote API,) adjustments in the calculation from Tesla, or a change with a software release (or something else.)

Couple of great ideas here, wjgjr. I think the nominal reporting of 100% is worth checking out further by crunching some of the values just before and after the event. As far as sunrise goes, I am not seeing the same thing there. Also as battery rises to 100%, nothing there either.
I have not looked at the remote API at all. So that bears looking at as I was not aware the current capacity could be shown.

Thanks and cheers.