Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Data Plans After Editing Order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having such a hard time deciding what do to.
I currently own a RWD vin 65xx very happy with it! No EAP no FSD. Will sell it to get AWD.

I Placed a AWD order with EAP and FSD
I wanted to get dual motor for better handling, slightly faster ACC and get Gen 2 seats. I was hoping for white interior but that is not an option.

Decisión decisión

7F8C8549-780B-46F2-853B-725A69E1DE12.jpeg
D3D6F866-A6F6-48F5-8371-268A3A92027C.jpeg
My Model 3

What about this motor selections of high vs low? I guess motors from assembly line get tested and the ones with higher rating output goes on performance and RWD and ones that are low goes on Dual Motor.

As far as Tesla has said the higher scoring motors go specifically in the P only.

That said- given modern manufacturing tolerances it's unlikely the actual score differences are especially significant. I doubt this is info we'll ever see published officially though.

The EPA data FWIW shows both front motors, P and AWD, as having exactly the same output... and the P and RWD rears having the same with AWD slightly lower- software limiting the AWD to keep it "slower" than the P is the most likely explanation for that since they weren't "motor selecting" when building RWD cars for the last year and all those hit the same output # as the ones going in the P.

So the lot sorting of drive units most likely only does the following:

Give a marketing distinction between P and AWD other than the software differences

Potentially slightly reduces warranty cost on the P

Gives them slightly more potential leeway to further unlock output later via software

As far as Tesla has said the higher scoring motors go specifically in the P only.

That said- given modern manufacturing tolerances it's unlikely the actual score differences are especially significant. I doubt this is info we'll ever see published officially though.

The EPA data FWIW shows both front motors, P and AWD, as having exactly the same output... and the P and RWD rears having the same with AWD slightly lower- software limiting the AWD to keep it "slower" than the P is the most likely explanation for that since they weren't "motor selecting" when building RWD cars for the last year and all those hit the same output # as the ones going in the P.

So the lot sorting of drive units most likely only does the following:

Give a marketing distinction between P and AWD other than the software differences

Potentially slightly reduces warranty cost on the P

Gives them slightly more potential leeway to further unlock output later via software

So should I go with AWD or stick to RWD?

So should I go with AWD or stick to RWD?

I mean... that really up to why you're getting the car and what you value... Personally I'm getting the AWD because the cost for the performance gain (especially staying planted while accelerating in curves) seems worthwhile to me (and the cost/gain ratio on the P, not so much, to me at least...if I were likely to be (non-drag strip) racing the car on a track a lot though I'd probably get the P).

I don't really care a ton about range, it's rare I'd need to drive more than 100 miles on a typical day, and MAYBE 150-200 on a non-typical one, and anything longer is a road trip that will involve superchargers... so the ~8% range difference doesn't matter to me but might matter a lot to others...

But if someone doesn't really care about performance as much, or max range is vital, the RWD is cheaper and goes longer between charges.

From your original question about it though it sounds like you want AWD for exactly the same reasons I do... (plus since you're adding EAP and FSD you're saving a few grand getting em on a "new" order instead of adding to a post-delivery car)

So the other thing is- do you have enough tax liability to take TWO tax credits in the same year?

If so it seems a no brainer to sell the RWD since you can likely get most of your net cost on that car back to put toward the AWD... if not you have to consider that in your math.

I mean... that really up to why you're getting the car and what you value... Personally I'm getting the AWD because the cost for the performance gain (especially staying planted while accelerating in curves) seems worthwhile to me (and the cost/gain ratio on the P, not so much, to me at least...if I were likely to be (non-drag strip) racing the car on a track a lot though I'd probably get the P).

I don't really care a ton about range, it's rare I'd need to drive more than 100 miles on a typical day, and MAYBE 150-200 on a non-typical one, and anything longer is a road trip that will involve superchargers... so the ~8% range difference doesn't matter to me but might matter a lot to others...

But if someone doesn't really care about performance as much, or max range is vital, the RWD is cheaper and goes longer between charges.

From your original question about it though it sounds like you want AWD for exactly the same reasons I do... (plus since you're adding EAP and FSD you're saving a few grand getting em on a "new" order instead of adding to a post-delivery car)

So the other thing is- do you have enough tax liability to take TWO tax credits in the same year?

If so it seems a no brainer to sell the RWD since you can likely get most of your net cost on that car back to put toward the AWD... if not you have to consider that in your math.

AGREE!!! If I break Even in selling my car at cost and difference of EAP and FSD new is 3K in savings then really it is costing me 1K more to get AWD and Gen 2 seats and any improvements they did between my VIN of 65XX.