Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Data sharing and privacy - what's actually collected?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

verygreen

Curious member
Jan 16, 2017
TN
I am posting this in the general forum for visibility to both X and S users.

Hopefully a familiar disclosure:

tesla-data-sharing-policy.jpg

Ever wondered what that was exposing outside of the movies discussed in the AP2.0 Cameras: Capabilities and Limitations? thread?
I am concentrating on the AP-reported stuff here, the big screen computer reports quite a bunch more of additional data.

@DamianXVI wrote a cool decoder for "autopilot trip logs", like this one: AP2.0 Cameras: Capabilities and Limitations?
(sidenote: it looked like past 17.44, even if you uncheck both the checkboxes in the data sharing dialog, the autopilot trip log was still collected and sent to Tesla (in prior releases the data was not collected if you uncheck the checkboxes). I do not know if this was a bug and it's now fixed or if it was a policy change and have no way to verify this anymore).

Anyway, so to the topic at hand, the trip_log.pb contains coordinates of your trip placed into buckets of whenever autosteer was available, used and so on.

Here's a part of my grocery trip sometime last year:
YCoWUkl

cVmPdHH.jpg

As you can see while somewhat coarse, it still shows you a pretty accurate depiction of the entire trip.

Longer trips are also captured of course, here's one a day before I needed to turn the unicorn in:
3jLlTib.jpg

Colors: red for suspected autosteer enabled, green - autosteer possible, blue - impossible.

Bigger version of the second trip:
https://imgur.com/a/0GWtnXY

All of this is pretty cool actually, but a little bit scary with all the tracking (then again, if you carry an android phone, Google has even more detailed tracking of your movements, I guess).

What other things I have noticed: the "anonymization" is actually pretty superficial. Every trip (from the moment autopilot started to the moment autopilot is powered off) is given a unique uuid, and every snapshot taken during that uses the same uuid, even if some internal fields are cleared for "anonymized" uploads, internally the trip id is still stored, combined with camera calibrations uploaded every other minute under the same trip id without any anonymization - connecting the dots back together is actually pretty simple. And of course looking at enough trips it's also pretty easy to see that "this must be home, now who lives there from our customer database"? Obviously timestamps are also all there.

What would have been even more cool actually is if this was a post by Tesla, and with even more details to explain what is actually collected and how is it used and safeguarded and such. At least with Google there's the timeline and you can see what's stored and even delete some parts (not sure how really deleted are those deletions of course).

Edit: not sure why, but the pictures don't attach like they usually do.

Last edited:
All of this is pretty cool actually, but a little bit scary with all the tracking (then again, if you carry an android phone, Google has even more detailed tracking of your movements, I guess).

It's neither uploaded nor collected if you disable it. Sounds like the same is not true of Tesla's tracking based on your research.

What other things I have noticed: the "anonymization" is actually pretty superficial. Every trip (from the moment autopilot started to the moment autopilot is powered off) is given a unique uuid, and every snapshot taken during that uses the same uuid, even if some internal fields are cleared for "anonymized" uploads, internally the trip id is still stored, combined with camera calibrations uploaded every other minute under the same trip id without any anonymization - connecting the dots back together is actually pretty simple. And of course looking at enough trips it's also pretty easy to see that "this must be home, now who lives there from our customer database"? Obviously timestamps are also all there.

What would have been even more cool actually is if this was a post by Tesla, and with even more details to explain what is actually collected and how is it used and safeguarded and such. At least with Google there's the timeline and you can see what's stored and even delete some parts (not sure how really deleted are those deletions of course).

Location data alone regardless of anonymization efforts will reveal you as we are creatures of habit. I am curious of the volume of actual image data uploaded if you have that figure or have stated it elsewhere? Upload raws or heavily preprocessed?

Location data alone regardless of anonymization efforts will reveal you as we are creatures of habit. I am curious of the volume of actual image data uploaded if you have that figure or have stated it elsewhere? Upload raws or heavily preprocessed?
The pictures uploads are two categories: For 1fps or just single frame captures they ar raws (2MB/image before gzip compression).
For "movies" it's 30fps 10 second excerpts compressed with h265.

if you have not seen - here's the FCW example: videoFCW - Streamable

the file is placed into a snapshot at the end of each trip (recognized by car being placed into park after some amount of driving) and send to Tesla, then deleted (on the ape). So your realistic options are:
- intercept the file before was sent to Tesla and removed
- try to intercept it in flight (transfers before 17.42 were over plaintext channel, now it's via https - so harder, unless you happen to have the right certs)
- Get it from Tesla servers either by asking Tesla nicely, or taking it by force (remember the recent kybernetes console misconfiguration issue that exposed customer snapshots to all comers?)