Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Data tracking for past 5 months and question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Zythryn

Custom Warming Stripes wrap.
Mar 18, 2009
Minnesota
I am a bit of a data geek and have been tracking our Model S charge history for about 5 months now.

Much of the information I have gathered gave trends that were largely expected, but is very nice to have confirmation of hard data.
Here is a link to a pdf of one of the charts I created showing Watts/Mile as a function of temperature (in 5 degree increments): http://www.electric-thoughts.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/EV-power-use.pdf
Below is a snapshot of it.

I was wondering if there were many others that are tracking data closely and if so, perhaps we could combine our data?
Jeff is doing a great job with efficiency data based on location, wheel size, etc.

One thing I noted was how much smoother the trend is as I get more data points. Again, I know that is how it is supposed to work, but it is nice to see it working out that way with real data.

I also have to admit, I never got into pivot tables until about a week ago. I must say, I really like them:)

Attachments

• WvsM.PNG
    WvsM.PNG
    83.2 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
Energy use vs. temperature

Interesting data - but if trips are not same speed/distance/duration, it is tough to come up with energy usage vs. temperature relationship. Of course, Tesla tracks all of our MS data all the time! THey just aren't publishing much or improving their range/energy predictions quite yet.

The energy-vs-temp is something I'd love to know, since I'm creating a "Route Energy Estimator" with my son at EVTripPlanner - we account for speed, hills, HVAC but don't integrate with weather yet for wind/temp - this should be in soon. I've also posted tables/spreadsheets with range-vs-speed, electricity cost estimator and some other stuff at EV Calculations

You can try it as a "beta tester" and let us know how your results compare to the predictions.