Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Date on the Roadster is wrong - trashing log files

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dpeilow

May 23, 2008
Winchester, UK
Last weekend I noticed the date on my car was wrong (October 15th) and now that I've pulled a log file I can see that it has reset to the year 2000. The last good date seems to be 10th December 2019.

As well as being annoying, this has trashed my log files - I can't see anything in the permanent records section.

I also don't see if there is a way to reset it. As far as I can tell it is automatically set by GPS.

Anyone have any ideas as to what causes this and how I can rectify it please?

Argh. I noticed this the other day as well. I don't bother w/ log files so it's just been an annoyance. Would love to borrow @slcasner's cable once the major metros have been taken care of. That being said, could I just buy a new one (first post in the other thread said they were ~$70), make sure it has the latest software, and just swap the plugs?

Argh. I noticed this the other day as well. I don't bother w/ log files so it's just been an annoyance. Would love to borrow @slcasner's cable once the major metros have been taken care of. That being said, could I just buy a new one (first post in the other thread said they were ~$70), make sure it has the latest software, and just swap the plugs?

yes, folks have done that too.

If you are skilled with hacking electronics you can create the equivalent of what my cable provides using a computer with a serial port (or USB adapter), a 5V power supply, some nails or other pins to insert into the car's connector at the VMS, and clip leads to hook it all together. See my post with a picture and description of how I did that. I made the cable just to make the procedure easier.

Whats the link to the updated garmin gps unit with the latest fw? I'd rather pay the $70 and just replace with new one instead of receiving the cable and doing all the technical steps.

Can anyone post a link? and are you sure it's the latest fw?

Reactions: dpeilow
Whats the link to the updated garmin gps unit with the latest fw? I'd rather pay the $70 and just replace with new one instead of receiving the cable and doing all the technical steps.
As @drewski noted, the difficulty with replacing the sensor is that you need to remove the front wheel and fender liner to access the sensor and then either splice the new one into the cable (which may not be reliable in that environment) or better yet buy a new connector shell and pins as identified by @jfischer in his first post about this problem. That's why I went ahead and made my update cable because I needed to fix a friend's car in another city and wanted to achieve that more expeditiously.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Now that I have downloaded a new VMSParser (as a band aid), I can see that indeed there was indeed a VMS reboot at the service and then the problem starts.

I will look into the more permanent solutions. A pity Tesla did not sort this when it was in the SC.

Its Hit or Miss at the SC's on this. I had to EDUCATE the Houston NW SC about the GPS rollover issue, they kept wanting to replace other stuff, even the new replacement GPS unit sent from Tesla CA as a replacement had the older firmware. So based on the new unit being faulty, their response was " Its not a gps issue" I kept pushing until finally got someone in Fremont Engineering to agree with me it WAS the GPS rollover issue caused by my last annual service including a car power down for PEM cleaning.

There is a SC technical bulletin on the issue but I wanted this as part of "check" as part of the annual service. They kicked and screamed that it was going to be a charge and firmware upgrades to non tesla components are not part of "THEIR" domain. How nice of a response!

Hopefully this year they will include it in the annual with no upcharge as part of the total firmware upgrade like they do every other piece of code in the car...

I'll get down off my soapbox now....

Reactions: im4uttx
I also had this same issue with my Roadster 2.5 and mentioned it when I brought the car in for service. The SC already added €65 to the bill for analysing as I was told that checking the computer system was not part of normal service?!
When I came back to the SC to pickup the car after service they could only tell some parts needed replacement, but not which ones..
In the meantime I had however checked the forum and now could explain them what the issue was and how to resolve it. Luckily it did ring a bell with the Roadster expert that was around and they offered to fix it for the €65 they previously quoted for the analysis.
Although much cheaper than some others had to pay I still don't get why this isn't part of regular service.