Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Date we will see options available for order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dan you're completely wrong. All base model 3s (battery aside) will be made first. Mass production.
Same thing over and over and over. Interior color/material and ext color are only options. You can chose your battery pack/ap/wheels/colors right off the bat. After that-you'll be delayed big time 6-9months at least. First cars to be delivered to East Coast will be in Oct.
No matter how it plays out there is no way I plan to see my car until mid 2018 anyway (east coast, April reservation). Either way, I am going to hold out for dual motor and maybe performance package depending on price.

Dan

Wait... .Making 5000 Model 3's per week will have all 400000 reservations filled in 80 weeks. Right? If the USA goes first....then I'm looking at all US reservations being filled in a year.
They're starting in the US but that doesn't mean that they'll fill all the US reservations before they start shipping to other locations. Maybe all the US line waiters or even all US pre-reveal reservations will get filled. Even then though, people waiting on performance will probably see some other countries start deliveries before see theirs.

Dan you're completely wrong. All base model 3s (battery aside) will be made first. Mass production.
Same thing over and over and over. Interior color/material and ext color are only options. You can chose your battery pack/ap/wheels/colors right off the bat. After that-you'll be delayed big time 6-9months at least. First cars to be delivered to East Coast will be in Oct.
Is this your opinion or do you have actual evidence to support that.

Wife and I saw a model 3 last night in concord NH charging station.
Pics or it didn't happen.

And you know this with 100% certainty how? Completely wrong is a bit strong conviction on your part. Or are you dealing in "alternative facts"? :p

I don't fully comprehend the east coast mentality that the 6-9 mo extended wait for AWD doesn't matter that much to them simply because they are east coast.

As a line waiter who isn't going to wait for AWD...I guess I'm selfishly hopeful that the first east coast RWDs would be delivered WELL before any east coast dual-motor AWDs start showing up. Maybe not 6-9months later but I'd be Ok if it was.

I don't fully comprehend the east coast mentality that the 6-9 mo extended wait for AWD doesn't matter that much to them simply because they are east coast.

As a line waiter who isn't going to wait for AWD...I guess I'm selfishly hopeful that the first east coast RWDs would be delivered WELL before any east coast dual-motor AWDs start showing up. Maybe not 6-9months later but I'd be Ok if it was.
Doubtful, 6-9 months after March is Sept - Dec which is probably when you were expecting delivery at the earliest anyway.

Reactions: EinSV
Unless I am completely misreading this thing (which is entirely possible) dual motor will be offered by roughly 1st quarter 2018 at the latest. I was not planning on being invited to configure much before that regardless. So...I don't see it as a major setback for me to configure/take delivery of a dual motor car. Am I missing something? Some folks seem to think that it will be an additional year from when we could get a RWD car. I don't see it that way.

Dan

Reactions: EinSV and 22522
I think we will see something after the June 2nd/3rd event. They will be showing off the M3 up close to a lot of fanboys and fangirls that will take to these message boards soon after. I think best case we will have some pricing on options shortly after. I expect them to start M3 production sometime in late July, but definitely before the Q2 earnings report and call and they will have to open up the design studio to the first people(employees) before that.

In addition as soon as the first people have access to the design studio, we will have screenshots of all the options hours later.

I think we will see something after the June 2nd/3rd event.
This is still so far away, I mean June 2nd is like 10 days 14 hours and 45 minutes away... not that I'm counting :rolleyes:

...and then I don't even know what time of day it will be, or how long until someone posts images and info...

edit: the viewing is at 10:30 am so plus 10 hours and 30 minutes and another three hours for Pacific time argh!

I think we will see something after the June 2nd/3rd event. They will be showing off the M3 up close to a lot of fanboys and fangirls that will take to these message boards soon after. I think best case we will have some pricing on options shortly after. I expect them to start M3 production sometime in late July, but definitely before the Q2 earnings report and call and they will have to open up the design studio to the first people(employees) before that.

In addition as soon as the first people have access to the design studio, we will have screenshots of all the options hours later.

I wouldn't be too sure about any of that. Everyone going to the June 2nd event has to sign an NDA. Sure, there will be some people that blow it off and post things but it won't be a lot more than we already know now. They wont be told pricing there and maybe not even final specs on things like charging or batteries so they won't have much to share anyway. It'll be a lot of subjective posts about how it looks and maybe how it felt to sit in one.

I would almost expect that the employees that configure will do so at work where it can be more tightly controlled. Even if it isn't done that way, the employees have already shown how very good they are at not leaking things so I wouldn't expect to see any configurator screenshots until non-employees start getting a shot at it or the July reveal.

My guess is that, unless there are some teaser details tweeted between now and then, there won't be a lot of info on pricing or options until July.

There will be less than 100 different configurations available so you won't have much to pick from.
I am guessing the following.
Battery -2
Motor - 2
Color - 4
Wheels - 2
Interior color/trim - 3
That would be 96 configurations.

You can't guess 2 for the motor because we know it's at minimum 3 (RWD, AWD, and P AWD)
It's either 1 for launch only options or 3

I say let there be 1 battery and software limit it.
If they could get away with this and make good enough margins on the base model then they'd probably do it I'd imagine. It would not only simplify manufacturing, but would allow the people who bought the base model to charge to 100% all the time just as they do habitually with their cell phones.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
You can't guess 2 for the motor because we know it's at minimum 3 (RWD, AWD, and P AWD)
It's either 1 for launch only options or 3

With the Performance it will come with the max battery and AWD, so it would be kind of a sub group.

I wonder if they count the exterior color as part of the less than 100 configuration options. That would allow for a few more items to pick. I did not add in the autopilot and FSD options as they all will be made with it, the same a exterior paint.

With the Performance it will come with the max battery and AWD, so it would be kind of a sub group.

I wonder if they count the exterior color as part of the less than 100 configuration options. That would allow for a few more items to pick. I did not add in the autopilot and FSD options as they all will be made with it, the same a exterior paint.
I think they only need 2 options. RWD and AWD. The AWD can have software limited "P" hardware.