Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Date we will see options available for order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am down to the wire on my lease. Actually my lease ended last month and I got a 3 month extension. I am still trying to decide between waiting for a model 3 or getting a model s now. Do you expect to see more details on the model 3 in the next month or am I holding my breath for no reason?

Also any chance we might see a demo model appear in local showrooms soon?

I am down to the wire on my lease. Actually my lease ended last month and I got a 3 month extension. I am still trying to decide between waiting for a model 3 or getting a model s now. Do you expect to see more details on the model 3 in the next month or am I holding my breath for no reason?

We've all been told it could be as late as July... Since Q2 ends at the end of June, I'm going to say it'll be July for sure, but I can always be surprised.

What I don't understand is: what difference does it make for you?

You got a three month extension but you know very well that in three months you still won't have a Model 3. If you have the money for an S then by all means get a Model S, you can always sell it later if you decide you'd rather have the Model 3.

Agreed, the design studio may open in July but you won't have it then. Depending on your position in line it could be another year or more. If your that down to the wire on your lease and your set on a Tesla then you really have no choice but to get an S.

Alternatively you could buy a cheap cheap ICE to bridge the gap.

I wish I could say money was not an object. The difference to me is whether I wait to get a nicely equipped 3 or buy a stripped down s. You answered my question though. If the design center isn't expected to open until July, I won't be able to compare the two.

Tesla, please offer short term used model s program until you can fulfill model 3 orders. Boy would I like that option. And yes I've been trolling swapalease for a while.

FWIW, someone who has a historically-reliable "little bird" at Tesla has mentioned that he has seen an internal email suggesting that Tesla will produce a "test-drive fleet" of Model 3s to ship out to showrooms sometime in Q3 (source), which is a slightly more specific plan of action than is suggested by Tesla's Model 3 FAQ:

When can I test drive Model 3?
We will provide the opportunity to get behind the wheel of Model 3 once we begin production

... given that production is scheduled to begin in July.

Last edited:
Tesla, please offer short term used model s program until you can fulfill model 3 orders. Boy would I like that option. And yes I've been trolling swapalease for a while.

What do you drive currently? When did you reserve?

It's too bad your lease extension doesn't run into early next year. My e-Golf lease runs through September 2018, but if Tesla hits their production targets, I will likely see my Model 3 several months before then, and my e-Golf will just be sitting in my driveway in need of a driver. If you were to need a bridge to your 3 within that window (and an 84-mile EV would suit your needs), I'd be happy to figure out how to make that happen, but it sounds like the timing is just a little off.

The guidance Elon gave was that we won't see anything more officially until they are in production and starting deliveries, sometime in July. (Which is doable since they said the initial deliveries will be to Tesla and SpaceX employees, folks who are already inside their systems and under NDAs.)

Aside from random unconfirmed leaks, I don't think you're going to see anything more until mid-late July this year.

As far as getting your car goes, living on the east coast and not owning a Tesla already puts you about four waves behind on the described rollout - a day one deposit puts you at the front of that wave. (Tesla said they will rollout by region, starting in California and moving across the country, and that current owners have priority over other reservation holders.)

I'm thinking the middle of next year is a reasonable guess, but it's very much a guess and could move in either direction.

The guidance Elon gave was that we won't see anything more officially until they are in production and starting deliveries, sometime in July. (Which is doable since they said the initial deliveries will be to Tesla and SpaceX employees, folks who are already inside their systems and under NDAs.)

Aside from random unconfirmed leaks, I don't think you're going to see anything more until mid-late July this year.

As far as getting your car goes, living on the east coast and not owning a Tesla already puts you about four waves behind on the described rollout - a day one deposit puts you at the front of that wave. (Tesla said they will rollout by region, starting in California and moving across the country, and that current owners have priority over other reservation holders.)

I'm thinking the middle of next year is a reasonable guess, but it's very much a guess and could move in either direction.
Wait... .Making 5000 Model 3's per week will have all 400000 reservations filled in 80 weeks. Right? If the USA goes first....then I'm looking at all US reservations being filled in a year.

Tesla Plans Model 3 Electric Car Production From July -- And More Gigafactories

Elon stated
“Our Model 3 program is on track to start limited vehicle production in July and to steadily ramp production to exceed 5,000 vehicles per week at some point in the fourth quarter and 10,000 vehicles per week at some point in 2018,”

The S is a bigger better car.

I keep finding myself shopping used Ss ...as an east coast non-owner who is praying the '05 S40 Volvo makes it...the wait is getting harder and harder. But I still believe I will make it.
It's difficult when you are working with a mid-forties price range, the Ss in that range are a bit long in the tooth so-to-speak...but it's still an S yaknow... and when I see one I like....the internal debate begins.
Staying strong...so far.

Reactions: BostonGuy
I keep finding myself shopping used Ss ...as an east coast non-owner who is praying the '05 S40 Volvo makes it...the wait is getting harder and harder. But I still believe I will make it.
It's difficult when you are working with a mid-forties price range, the Ss in that range are a bit long in the tooth so-to-speak...but it's still an S yaknow... and when I see one I like....the internal debate begins.
Staying strong...so far.

I think there have been a lot of us having this internal debate over the last year, some of us are holding on, others are called Model S owners! :cool:
An S -even a used one- would be a bit of a stretch for me, but I keep telling myself not to do anything until all final details of the 3 at release (options, prices, specs, etc.) are known!

Reactions: Justmurr and T34ME
The good news is that for us East coasters, dual motor and performance packages should be available by the time we configure! I just hope it is still within my doable price range.

Dan

I still think being told his company is a government charity case grates on Elon, especially when you look at the record of accomplishment compared to all the other places the government spends money - and private industry for that matter.

Elon can solve all that with product line definition on the Model 3. (And because a lot of work on costs, GF, etc).

If you take that first white RC with the winter/racing wheels (tall sidewall and low unsprung weight), and position that the same way BMW ince positioned their enthusiast 3 Series. That car can be a post at the low end of the price scale.

It will be that configuration that lets Elon lower the price in concert with the expiration of the production volume based tax rebates. He is going to build every currently ordered US vehicle to get the full rebate. The purpose here is to push Tesla further down the experience curve than any competitor.

So what starts as a continuum, of sales price variation in the offering, should get a gap with that first white RC ending with a price of $26,500 when the incentives expire. Then comes the all wheel drive version at $29K. For colors and other wheels options the price never moves. The one that tracks the reduction in incentives is a 'special edition.' Everything else holds 'day one' pricing.

This lets Elon point out perfect citizenship again.
It makes him the Henry Ford of the modern EV era.
It keeps stock holders happy as the cars will have margin at ASP.

It also lets you get your vehicle. (You getting your vehicle is an enabler for the whole cycle, by the way.)

At least that is how I would like to see it play out. I bet there are a lot of people at Tesla who would like to see this as well - as it is consistent with their mission.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan you're completely wrong. All base model 3s (battery aside) will be made first. Mass production.
Same thing over and over and over. Interior color/material and ext color are only options. You can chose your battery pack/ap/wheels/colors right off the bat. After that-you'll be delayed big time 6-9months at least. First cars to be delivered to East Coast will be in Oct.

Reactions: Justmurr