Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daughter board?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a November 2015 build a P90D. My MCU has gone out twice in 6 weeks. I have had the car towed to Tesla service both times. The first time it took less then an hour to fix as they said an "update" jammed the system and knocked out my MCU. So they re flashed it?

Now 6 weeks later, the same thing happens and again the car was towed to a different service center and they say the daughter board is out and the testing said "end of life".

They want to replace the daughter board and charge the $200 deductible. I suggested that the MCU be replaced as they seem to be going out around this build year. They said NO one part at a time since its computer says it is the daughter board.

Does this make sense? I just don't want to go through a piece by piece replacement at $200 each and losing the car for a week+ at a time (they don't carry these parts and are ordering the mother board).

Thoughts?

Thanks

+1 on the daughterboard repair. It's not worth shelling out for a new MCU1 or a refurbished unit. If you really want the issue to be 'permanently fixed' you should consider upgrading to MCU2. It depends how much you are looking to spend.
MCU2 comes with 2 year, 25K miles warranty. I would hardly call it a "permanent fix". The MCU1 daughteboard replacement comes with the same warranty and from what I read recently the same 64GB chip, so it should live just as long as an MCU2, possibly longer since MCU2 uses the EMMC chip more (has games and other features like Netfllix which MCU1 does not).