Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daughter is having open heart surgery tommorow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just read this thread tonight. I hope surgery went well today and little Grace is beginning her recovery with a positive start. I have never had to experience this personally with my child but, being in the medical field I have been on the opposite side and sympathize with you. Your family will be in my prayers and at your convenience, I'm sure there are several fellow club members anxiously awaiting to hear how she is doing.

All of us hear are praying for you. I have two daughters myself 2 & 4) and a son on the way and I get so upset when one of my girls bumps their heads so I can't even imagine what you must be experiencing. I hope the best for a quick smooth successful operation. Many many many prayers for her.

All of us hear are praying for you. I have two daughters myself 2 & 4) and a son on the way and I get so upset when one of my girls bumps their heads so I can't even imagine what you must be experiencing. I hope the best for a quick smooth successful operation. Many many many prayers for her.
As a doc always reminded on a daily basis what is really important. Hope all went well and you have a chance to spoil your child silly for a life time

Thanks so much everyone for all the thoughts and prayers. Got goosebumps reading through all the replies. The surgery went off flawlessly and she is recovering nicely in the ICU. Due to her entrance into this world (was born on drugs) Her first 24 hours after surgery were pretty rough due to her very high resistance to the meds. A nurse unnerved me when he said that a "normal" baby on the amount of meds she was on would have stopped breathing and they seemed to not even be helping her.

She is doing much better now in a deep sleep with less meds. About to feed and hold her as I type this. Will be our first time to hold her since surgery.

As for donations there are none needed. The entire bill will be covered by medacaid. For all the problems with the adoption process and the healthcare system her coverage in this manner has been exceptional :)

A nurse unnerved me when he said that a "normal" baby on the amount of meds she was on would have stopped breathing

some people just say the stupidest things. that was a very inappropriate comment from a nurse that I would certainly file a complaint about. that aside, I am very happy to hear about the successful surgery. best wishes for speedy recovery

some people just say the stupidest things. that was a very inappropriate comment from a nurse that I would certainly file a complaint about. that aside, I am very happy to hear about the successful surgery. best wishes for speedy recovery

He meant well and was just trying to explain why more medicine was a better choice than giving her more glucose water , which was the only thing immediately after surgery that helped her not cry. Of course I had little sleep at that point and was getting irratated with them. He did say a couple of things that made be nervous but more importantly he took amazing care of my little girl. While I wish I did not hear the comment about so much medicine and her breathing and about a couple of babies that bled out when their pacemaker wires were removed, I would not want him reprimanded because he took the best care of my girl out of any of the nurses.

Baby Grace did much better today and had the artial line removed from her leg and one other line or wire removed ... It has been such a blur I forgot about the other. The next thing to go will be the o2 lines that they have taped to her nose to help her breath better. Her breathing has been good and she keeps scratching at them. She has been scratching at them since the surgery and they are probably her biggest irritation. She has very sensitive skin so getting those removed will be a big help to her.

I am hoping to see quick continued improvement as I will need to go back to work on Monday and it will break my heart if she is not a lot closer to her "normal" self before then. It really has been great seeing all of your responses. I was reading the first page to my wife and she was tearing up at every comment. Due to all of the movement back in forth between the ICU room / waiting room and hotel that is far as I got but it meant a lot to her and she is eagerly awaiting to read the rest of the responses. Once we get her adopted I will post a picture of her before surgery wearing her Tesla onesie :)