Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daughters front electric motor died in her Y. Has anyone experienced this. How long did it take to get repaired?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Her front electric motor died. Tesla says it needs replacing. Anyone experience this failure and how did it take to get fixed
The first thing is to get the Tesla Service Center to provide your daughter with a loaner vehicle. Then no matter how many days or weeks it takes to get the front drive unit replaced your daughter has a Tesla she can drive.

Request Tesla Roadside Assistance, have the Model Y towed on a flat bed to the Tesla Service Center. Tesla's policy is that all Tesla vehicles that are towed to a Tesla Service Center must be evaluated by a service technician within 24 hours. If the vehicle is towed to the Service Center today (Wednesday), gets evaluated by Thursday then needed parts can be ordered.

Does it still drive ok? The Tesla website used to state that you would "never be stuck" if you have a dual motor model and one motor quit working. I think they did that as a reason to go with the dual motor vs the RWD? I don't see it mentioned on the website any more.

Does it still drive ok? The Tesla website used to state that you would "never be stuck" if you have a dual motor model and one motor quit working. I think they did that as a reason to go with the dual motor vs the RWD? I don't see it mentioned on the website any more.
There’s a reason it’s not there anymore. The motors in the 3/Y aren’t the same as the original X/S motors.

And good luck getting a loaner from Tesla.

A replacement drive unit could take anywhere from days to months to be installed.

As an aside, she got really good treatment from the local Tesla Spokane shop. They answer the phone and they text her status.
I suspose it all depends on the manager of the local store
That's good to hear. My experience with Tesla service over the last year and improved too. It seems like they are really focusing on communication and updates back to the owners.