Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dave Grohl...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just watched a 15min video to hear Dave Grohl say the word "Tesla" once?

Meanwhile, the world wide web is lighting up with various stories of Teslas killing their owners w/ sensational and largely false headlines. That's why Tesla needs to invest in advertising. By not combating these lies and mistreating it's only source of advertising (it's customers) via crap service... that's not a recipe for success. I don't care how good the cars are.

I used to hear all of the common objections to Teslas and would defend them as outlandish lies and people needed to go for a ride and I insisted on answering their questions for sometimes hours on end. Now, I don't have the energy. I listen to their BS they heard "from a guy who heard from his cousin that her friend told her" and then I also add in that their customer service is also the worst I've ever experienced in my long and distinguished time on this planet.

Based on what I've heard here, other forums and social media... I'm not alone. Tesla has a real problem in their hands. A problem that a single mention from an aging artist on a dying platform isn't going to erase.

I just watched a 15min video to hear Dave Grohl say the word "Tesla" once?

Meanwhile, the world wide web is lighting up with various stories of Teslas killing their owners w/ sensational and largely false headlines. That's why Tesla needs to invest in advertising. By not combating these lies and mistreating it's only source of advertising (it's customers) via crap service... that's not a recipe for success. I don't care how good the cars are.

I used to hear all of the common objections to Teslas and would defend them as outlandish lies and people needed to go for a ride and I insisted on answering their questions for sometimes hours on end. Now, I don't have the energy. I listen to their BS they heard "from a guy who heard from his cousin that her friend told her" and then I also add in that their customer service is also the worst I've ever experienced in my long and distinguished time on this planet.

Based on what I've heard here, other forums and social media... I'm not alone. Tesla has a real problem in their hands. A problem that a single mention from an aging artist on a dying platform isn't going to erase.
I genuinely believe the reason why Tesla doesn't care about customer service and service in general is because Elon has no plan for Tesla to exist long term. He's been very clear the purpose of Tesla was to demonstrate mass production EVs could be a thing and that people would buy them. He's never really committed to the long term health/growth of Tesla and intends on it being gobbled up by someone else. The run on the stock price has thrown a wrench into this plan I think but the only thing that really changes is the timeline. Tesla is going to end up like Icarus, almost by design... One day it's going to come crashing down but really by that point Elon will have accomplished his goal which is exactly what he's going to say at that moment "Yeah Tesla eventually failed but it was never meant to succeed long term, it's goal/mission was to prove mass market EVs could work and look at the marketplace now, Tesla did it's job and now it's time to move on"...

Jeff

I genuinely believe the reason why Tesla doesn't care about customer service and service in general is because Elon has no plan for Tesla to exist long term. He's been very clear the purpose of Tesla was to demonstrate mass production EVs could be a thing and that people would buy them. He's never really committed to the long term health/growth of Tesla and intends on it being gobbled up by someone else. The run on the stock price has thrown a wrench into this plan I think but the only thing that really changes is the timeline. Tesla is going to end up like Icarus, almost by design... One day it's going to come crashing down but really by that point Elon will have accomplished his goal which is exactly what he's going to say at that moment "Yeah Tesla eventually failed but it was never meant to succeed long term, it's goal/mission was to prove mass market EVs could work and look at the marketplace now, Tesla did it's job and now it's time to move on"...

Jeff
I've realized that from day one. I'm just surprised they made that transition away from investing in customer support only a few years into the process and gave up on supporting us several years ago. To me, this is a pretty dangerous game and could have just as easily blown up in his face on the timing. Sure we've got the big players verbally committing to building EVs but there's still a VERY small percentage of buyers actually asking for EVs. If Tesla were to fail anytime soon the big players would just say "See, the EV isn't viable with today's technology" and would go back to business as usual. The R&D invested to this point would barely be a rounding error to their bottom line. It could be catastrophic for Tesla's primary goal of accelerating the transition to renewable energy source transportation. The carnage left in the wake would set the EV back decades or more.

Think about all Tesla has "done" for the dealer-less model. It could have been a massive achievement had they done it properly and proven we don't need the antiquated dealer model. All it did in reality was "prove" that customer service is non-existent w/o them and if we want customer service we'll need them moving forward. This was the reasoning behind requiring it in the first place; to protect the consumer. 10 years from now people will say "Man, I hate the dealerships." "Yeah but remember that one time that one company, Tesla I think it was called, attempted to sell & service direct? What a nightmare that was. They didn't even have a customer-facing phone number!" "Yeah, you're right, it could always be worse I guess." and we'll never know what could have been of the dealer-less model had Tesla actually given a crap.

In the end, Tesla could be doing more harm than good to "the cause" overall depending on what the next few years holds. Despite what some profess, they're FAR from a success and could just as easily go the way of the Tucker tomorrow.

Last edited:
Good points indeed, appreciate the perspective for sure. I don't want Tesla to fail, in fact quite the opposite... I desperately want Elon to pull his head out of his ass and step down from running the place directly and focus on the "it" that makes Tesla, Tesla while someone else focuses on making Tesla a reliable, honest, and effective car company in all phases of the life cycle. However, from my few brief encounters with Elon directly, I don't think his ego will ever allow for something like that and he's packed the board with friendlies who won't do it either. It's so maddening to see what Tesla COULD be if only Elon wasn't so damn myopic...

Jeff

Good points indeed, appreciate the perspective for sure. I don't want Tesla to fail, in fact quite the opposite... I desperately want Elon to pull his head out of his ass and step down from running the place directly and focus on the "it" that makes Tesla, Tesla while someone else focuses on making Tesla a reliable, honest, and effective car company in all phases of the life cycle. However, from my few brief encounters with Elon directly, I don't think his ego will ever allow for something like that and he's packed the board with friendlies who won't do it either. It's so maddening to see what Tesla COULD be if only Elon wasn't so damn myopic...

Jeff
Agreed on all counts.

Reactions: jeffro01