Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dave Made a Maze

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

daniel

May 7, 2009
Kihei, HI
I don't generally post in Off Topic, and I'm not that much of a movie buff, but I wanted to post this because this has got to be the weirdest movie I can ever remember. It's not a great movie. It's not a movie I'd tell people they've got to run right out and rent, unless I know that they love weird. The writing is just okay. The acting is okay. But the story is just so totally weird, that's the only word I can think of for it.

It starts out very slow. The title character telling the camera not to make him look foolish or something, a very home-movie kind of shot that very nearly had me turning it off in the first couple of minutes. After that is the actual slow start: Very lovely young woman comes home after a weekend away to find a cardboard fort in the living room, and when she calls out to her boyfriend (husband?) he's inside the fort, saying he can't come out because he's lost, and she should not come inside because it's dangerous.

At this point I again almost turned it off because it seemed so stupid, and I figured this movie is about a mentally ill man, and frankly, that kind of disturbs me because losing my mental faculties is about the scariest thing I can think of. But fortunately I kept watching. The woman calls some friends over, and there's a few more minutes of stupid, but bear with it because...

then the weird starts.

I'm not going to give any spoilers. I wish there were a word that expresses about seven orders of magnitude beyond weird.

I'm not even entirely sure that better writing and acting would have made it a better movie. For what it is, the so-so writing and acting might have been just right.