Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dave Metcalf and son Adam break the 400 miles challenge! Incredible...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time lurker here excited about Tesla and the Model S. I have to wonder though how this challenge is going to have any positive effect on the mainstream buyers. Going 400 miles in one charge is cool, and the techies and enthusiasts will love it, but averaging 25 mph on the highway and taking all day to do so isn't exactly going to win the regular joe to want to buy the car. If you go slow enough, I'm sure 500 miles would be possible but people don't drive that way. I'm also echoing a previous poster in questioning how you go so slow on a Florida highway without getting pulled over by the police, isn't there a minimum speed limit?
Besides the point of taking up the challenge from Tesla to hit 400 miles, what this also does is clearly point out how you can stretch your range if necessary by slowing down, which might help some people avoid being stranded. I doubt 500 miles is possible with this car no matter how you drive.

Besides the point of taking up the challenge from Tesla to hit 400 miles, what this also does is clearly point out how you can stretch your range if necessary by slowing down, which might help some people avoid being stranded. I doubt 500 miles is possible with this car no matter how you drive.
At his average consumption rate for the trip, he could do another 47 miles or so (so 447 total). Unless I'm reading the numbers wrong.

I have to wonder though how this challenge is going to have any positive effect on the mainstream buyers. Going 400 miles in one charge is cool, and the techies and enthusiasts will love it, but averaging 25 mph on the highway and taking all day to do so isn't exactly going to win the regular joe to want to buy the car. If you go slow enough, I'm sure 500 miles would be possible but people don't drive that way.

The big achievement is showing that it can be done; part of the longer term development is doing it faster and more efficiently. These type of achievements can become a collective tipping point to change perceptions, attitudes and, eventually, behavior. There will be plenty of people out there already who are going to feel more confident about their range just knowing that one driver did this. Dave Metcalf may have unwittingly affected the perceptions of thousands of people in a really positive way.

The big achievement is showing that it can be done; part of the longer term development is doing it faster and more efficiently. These type of achievements can become a collective tipping point to change perceptions, attitudes and, eventually, behavior. There will be plenty of people out there already who are going to feel more confident about their range just knowing that one driver did this. Dave Metcalf may have unwittingly affected the perceptions of thousands of people in a really positive way.

+1

And congrats!