Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dave Metcalf and son Adam break the 400 miles challenge! Incredible...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
jvonbokel sent me the below pictures. Looks like he attempted the 400 mile challenge today on his way to Michigan.

Here he is at the 200 mile mark.

View attachment 22581

Doing pretty good at this point.

But must have hit some rough terrain. Here he is at 350 miles.

View attachment 22582

So close. Haven't heard from him recently so I'm not sure if this is as far as he made it or if he kept going. Hopefully he will post later with more details.

Made it! 400.7mi with just 2 Rated Miles left.

IMG_20130525_234149.jpg

Details to follow after a good night's sleep. :)

Now, if I can only find a 426 mile downhill ramp...... :)

18mph is a little loguey even for me. I wonder how you're supposed to spell that?
Not meaning to nitpick - I honestly have no idea what word you mean here. Perhaps a definition (since using it in a sentence didn't help)? ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Well done!

So sad. Dave's blog never appeared on the official site as I hoped and we never learned what the prize was or if others - like the first 10 - would be rewarded, too. It seemed to me this feat would have served so well to show the car's capabilities - especially with regard to range anxiety - just when production was really ramping up: A missed PR opportunity. What happened??!

Not meaning to nitpick - I honestly have no idea what word you mean here. Perhaps a definition (since using it in a sentence didn't help)? ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Well done!
Hah! If I'd written sluggish, the meaning would have been clear. I wonder if it's an Alaskanism - we've lots of 'em.

<break>
1. Congratulations, jvonbokel! That'd just get me to town and back.
2. On further perusing, I see "ramp" suggestions elsewhere - Denver and other such towards Salina KS, etc. That should work....

</break>

Other Alaskanisms:
*did you know "glacier" is a verb? As in: the Richardson Highway's been glaciering badly this winter between here and Summit Lake. DOT can't keep up with its steam trucks, and we've had three really bad wipeouts on that ice.
*Where other winter locations may see snowmobiles - by the way, UAF students built an electric one! - here we have snowmachines and also sno-gos. As in: The 28th annual Arctic Man Ski & Sno-Go Classic, held each year right at "our" glacier, finally saw the 4-minute barrier definitively smashed - and by the top three finishers, too!
* Outside has a special meaning here. As in: Real Alaskans don't go Outside during winter. What it means is "anywhere that is not Alaska".

<break>
So it's about 300 miles from here, at elevation 2,700 feet, to Anchorage at sea level. I wonder if that drop is enough to overcome the ups and downs along the way..... hmmmmmm.... I do think that inviolable 2nd Law of Thermodynamics would be rearing its gnarly head in all the climbs intermediate to that destination.....

Hah! If I'd written sluggish, the meaning would have been clear. I wonder if it's an Alaskanism - we've lots of 'em.

So it's about 300 miles from here, at elevation 2,700 feet, to Anchorage at sea level. I wonder if that drop is enough to overcome the ups and downs along the way..... hmmmmmm.... I do think that inviolable 2nd Law of Thermodynamics would be rearing its gnarly head in all the climbs intermediate to that destination.....

Audie,

I made the drive from Anchorage to Seward about two weeks ago (125 miles each way) at 333 wh/mi outbound and 321 wh/mi on the return. As you know, that's a hilly and curvy journey. I drove comfortably with the climate control on and my foot on the accelerator at a sporty pressure.

-Josh

Cool, Josh! Hope you enjoyed that Hillside-to-Girdwood stretch. Always a great piece of road...except when a few dozen/hundred RVs are on it..... :(

And BIG THANKS AGAIN for letting me behind the wheel of yours! Now I'm really champing at the bit.....when's that Great Big Box going to show up in my drive.....?????....

When I drove back to Paxson, the entire Glenn and most of the Richardson was a veritable hurricane of migrant birds. More car strikes than I've seen in the rest of my life combined. Alfred Hitchcock would be terrified.

/off topic

View attachment 22584

Details to follow after a good night's sleep. :)

Congrats again John! Glad to have you in the 400 club. I think it is you, Bruno and my son and me so far...

For a couple of you with questions about what happened to our post, I think Tesla had our article and picture up for a short while and then the Broder thing and stock surge happened and they were busy making all of us money : ).

I am happy to send it to anyone interested at this point, even though Tesla asked that I not distribute it so please don't post or distribute. Spoiler alert: there have been various prizes, but the main two are a HPWC and an autographed picture from Elon and JB. I donated the HPWC to Univ of Central Fl and they agreed to put it in a free parking spot and provide free charging to the Tesla community in exchange for the donation- so the next time you're in East Orlando and need a charge, contact me. We should have it up and on Recargo in a few months too. Thanks for the support and interest. I'm happy to help anyone else who wants to make an attempt and join the club. Many others have tried and run into problems- mostly hills or roads that are too fast. It is doable with patience and the right route so go for it. I am also planning something special for the first 10, but have to wait a bit to get it all setup. Hope to meet some of you at TESLIVE next month and discuss range.

Officially, MPGe is calculated based on the assumption that 33.7 kilowatt hours of electricity is equivalent to one gallon of gasoline. So in your case 78.5 kWh used divided by 33.7 is equivalent to 2.33 gallons used. 423.5 divided by 2.33 equals 181.8 MPGe. This method takes the price per kWh/gallon out of the equation.
That's interesting. But it is a better bargain than that. If you were able to get 40 mpg in, say, a Chevy Cruze to travel 423 miles you would need 10.6 gallons. At $3.50 a gallon the trip would cost you $37 bucks in a Chevy Cruze.