Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dave's (dsm363) Signature Performance Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
This truly is an amazing car. I've never owned a luxury car before so can't really compare it to the S class or 5 /7 Series BMW but the interior is well done.

These are just a few random thoughts and pictures since there are a number of more extensive owner reviews. I'll try and post more later when I've had more than 24 hours with the car. This won't exactly be organized in any reasonable manner, just a few quick thoughts over the first 24 hours of ownership.

Nav: There are some software updates coming that will address some issues I've had such as not being able to save favorites in the nav. I learned that you can also type in something in the address field (which I didn't realize at first) and do a Google search for a restaurant for example and have it direct you there instead of typing in an address. This has to be the best factory installed nav unit (that I've seen at least). Finally a manufacturer delivers a Nav unit that is as good or better than a $300 TomTom unit. I love how the route you selected appears also in the LCD display next to your speed so you don't have to take your eyes off of the road. It also plays the voice prompts out of the driver side speaker in the front and doesn't cut the music out that much. Some units completely cut the audio to give you a voice prompt which I find annoying.

WiFi is not yet activated, I confirmed that with Tesla today as others had pointed out before as well.

user interface: Very slick and responsive. If this is where they are starting from, I'm excited to see where they can go. It is already at production quality in terms of look and how quickly everything responds. I'm sure they have a lot of work to do though and other features to add.

driving: I do hear that odd sound when I give max acceleration but only briefly in the Performance model. Can't really hear it with music playing.
The car handles very well for such a large car. Acceleration is excellent and you'll be up to 80 before you know it.

The ride is also excellent. The Air suspension is very soft and absorbs bumps well.

delivery processThey do a good job dropping the car off and having a Tesla delivery person there to spend about an hour going over everything with you and answering questions.

Overall, I'm really happy with it. Very easy car to drive with tons of performance and great user interface.
_85C3203.jpeg
_85C3228.jpeg
_85C3234.jpeg
_85C3236.jpeg
B85C3211.jpeg

Envious!! I think that's mine with the silver wheels right behind yours....slip the driver a $20 and tell him to hurry to FL please.
You're going to wire that $20 to Dave aren't you? ;)

Congrats Dave! Al these pictures make me so jealous, as a European I still have a long, very long wait and cold winter ahead. I wish I could spend that winter with my S :(

Dave,

Thanks for the update. I was never big on the Signature red color, but this photo makes it look amazing! Looks great with the grey performance wheels as well.

Thanks. I've always loved the Sig Red (the white also looks amazing especially the performance version with the grey wheels) but wasn't sure about the grey wheels with the Sig Red. I think it looks nice too but looks equally amazing with the silver wheels if that was an issue for anyone. You can seem them side by side in one of the pictures above.

I spoke with someone at Tesla about how I think the performance version should have less chrome at least and he said that maybe one day, they could offer a darker trim/metal as part of the performance package or as an upgrade to older cars. This wasn't anything official though, just a thought. In the interim, you could wrap the chrome with something black or the fake CF wrap which might look ok.

- - - Updated - - -

Envious!! I think that's mine with the silver wheels right behind yours....slip the driver a $20 and tell him to hurry to FL please.

Sadly, that's actually a local Model S that was delivered last week. He picked me up in his Model S and took me to the delivery spot which was a few blocks from my house due to the larger parking lot available for the delivery. I may be the first person that was driven to their own Model S delivery in another Model S:smile: The third Model S in the picture was another customer delivery later than day in Texas.

Congratz on the delivery. Did she come charged up on delivery?

I think it was charged in standard mode then sat on the truck for who knows how long. It arrived with about 180 ideal miles of range (new term is projected range I think according to the software update e-mail they sent out). I drove the 0.6 miles home and plugged it in for an hour while I went to lunch in another Model S. Then spent the rest of the day giving test rides. Great way to spend a day.

It also plays the voice prompts out of the driver side speaker in the front and doesn't cut the music out that much. Some units completely cut the audio to give you a voice prompt which I find annoying.

Soo glad to hear this. Can't tell you the number of fights I've had with my nav system completely drowning out an audio book, then repeating the instructions once I finally got rewound to the point I missed. I bet it laughs at me :(

Congrats DSM! I'm happy that people are really getting their cars - especially after all this waiting. And man that is so beautiful looking!

Did your delivery come on time as stated in the lock-in contract? (the "PMVA" document ...I forget the exact name of the document).

Mine said delivery in Oct. I wonder if that means, Oct 1...or 31!

Congrats DSM! I'm happy that people are really getting their cars - especially after all this waiting. And man that is so beautiful looking!

Did your delivery come on time as stated in the lock-in contract? (the "PMVA" document ...I forget the exact name of the document).

Mine said delivery in Oct. I wonder if that means, Oct 1...or 31!

I think my original one said August 15th but the e-mail with my delivery window was something like Sept. 11-24th so they were right at the end of that.

Glad she arrived safe and sound Dave!

BTW, you have great taste in cars...(white Roadster & Red Model S)...:wink::smile:

Thanks! Kind of the opposite of what I normally would have done (red sports car and white sedan) but I love it. The Sig Red is great.